Chapter 45: Camera, Lights... Paparazzi Part 1

Chuck's POV
"Are we trying again sir?" Drew asked me.

Mr Varma is putting up a fight. For the last five days I have been faithfully going to their house. The first two days, I stayed at the gate as his new guards instructed. He didn't even bother to acknowledge my presence. I couldn't call Gayatri because her phone is off. The third day I wasn't having it. I was frustrated. I went over the gate. Drew and I got into a physical scuffle with the guards employed by Mr Varma. It was so bad, he called the police on me. Drew and I were arrested.

I explained to the officers what was going on and they didn't see a need to arrest me. They warned me from trespass.

The fourth day, I was back. I stayed outside the gate. Mrs Varma served me tea, an act that made her husband furious. She gave me her number and I was able to call Gayatri. He called the police but when I showed them proof I bought the house and Mr Varma is the one trespassing, they offered to throw him out for me. But I declined. They found it puzzling but they left.

Day five, Mr Varma graced us with his presence. He had Gayatri's uncles and male cousins with him. The twelve of them threatened to beat me up if I didn't leave. I told them I'm ready to fight for her. Drew and I knew we wouldn't get out of there in one piece but we were ready. Her grandmother intervened and it cooled everything down. At the end of the day, I had to leave.

Day six.

Am I going back?

"No."

"You give up then." Drew noted.

"It's not giving up... it's waiting it out to try again later. The General is flipping out on me. I have to go home. We just lost a big client to BC."

"Sir, if I may ask, why this girl? What is special about her? You can have any girl you want. Why her?"

"It's because my heart only knows how to beat to her rhythm." I zipped up the packed bag.

"That man will never get a better son in law than you. I'll call the pilot."

When I get to New York,the General will have my head!

I looked around the room for any personal effects left when I saw something black peeking from under the bed. I reached for it to retrieve a black lace bra. I smiled to myself. It's Gayatri's. I don't think I'll give it back. I added it to my bag.

"Sir-"

"Move!" She pushed him out of his way.

"Gaya!"

"Good! You're packed! Let's go!" She wrapped her fingers around my wrist. She's breathing hard, chest rising and falling probably from running. Her hair looks like it has been battered by the wind but I don't think she cares.

"How are you... Why? Where are we going?"

"To Vegas! We are going to elope. You will marry me. Papa cannot break us apart if we are married!" She sped spoke while trying to catch her breath."

I brought my hand to cup her face. "You ran away, didn't you?"

"Karan sneaked me under the fence." I noted the bruises on her arms. "Please Chuck, let's go already!" She took my packed bag and started dragging my suitcase. "Come on Chuck!"

I followed her. Drew relieved her of the bags which he put in the trunk of the Mercedes. I opened the door for her and lingered outside.

"To the airport?" Drew asked me.

I want to say yes. We could elope. We can make it quick. In a matter of hours she can be my wife. I remember my mother begging me not to leave them out of my wedding. If I elope, they won't be part of the biggest milestone on my life. I have seen firsthand what a turbulent relationship between a father and a daughter looks like. I cannot have Gayatri going through that because I want to elope.