Chapter 25: Daring Best Friend

Abigail's POV
Last summer, at the peak of all rich kids soirees, my friend Serena Bellingerre or as we call her, SB had an ugly break-up with one of her London friends. I'm not certain what it was about but I remember the consequences of pissing off SB. Her ex friend was banished from London high society. SB made sure she was not allowed into any parties. All party hosts adhered to her demands because she's Serena Bellingerre. She made sure her ex friend couldn't even shop in the stores she showed in. A billionaire's daughter threatening to take her business elsewhere is certainly a reason for business owners to honor her wishes and not even sell a pair of socks to the banished friend. It didn't stop there. Everyone avoided the ex friend like a plague. No one wanted to be in Serena Bellingerre's bad books. It only prices that holding grudges runs in Bellingerre blood.

I took a deep breath and pushed open the door. The woman seated behind the desk raised her eyes.

"Abigail. What a wonderful surprise!"

I'm about to teach Beverly a lesson she will never forget. I'm borrowing notes from SB. There's no way to proceed if not coldly.

"It's not a social visit Mrs Dane."

"What is it about? Is Beverly okay?"

I helped myself to a chair. "It was November last year when a young woman driving under the influence was pulled over by police. They could tell she was intoxicated. They also found drugs in the back seat of her car. She was arrested for intoxication and possession. She didn't even spend ten minutes in the police department. She was released as a favor owed to a certain judge by a certain chief of police."

She looks composed, completely unfazed.

I begged my dad to help me and I came up with proof.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about Beverly and how you made it go away."

"Are you blackmailing me Abby?'

"You catch on fast"

"What is this about?"

"My friend Gayatri wasn't on the wrong. Your daughter and her ugly personality provoked her. If anyone should be on trial it's Beverly for bring do petty."

"My daughter was assaulted. I cannot overlook that and how dare you threaten me? Where's the proof?"

"It will be all over the evening news if you don't do something about the case. Mrs Dane, it's not complicated. Make this case go away and I'll keep my mouth shut about your daughter's misdeeds. It's up to you." I got up. "You have till sunset."

"Abigail. You should know you're not impervious to misdeeds. I'll be waiting."

I walked out feeling like I'm trembling. I just threatened a judge. Now let's see how this will paly out.

"Chuck, I blackmailed the judge. Gayatri won't see the inside of a court room. If she does, you better back me in my path of destruction. I hope it doesn't get there. I'm breaking a sweat. Call me. Okay?" I hanged up.

Now I can carry on with the rest of my day.

Gayatri's POV
I sleep better on this sofa than in my former bed. Every morning when I wake up, Chick is usually gone. He makes his bed, picks up after himself and leaves me a cup of coffee with the sweetest notes. There's something beautiful to wake up to everyday.

Four weeks after moving in together, everything is working smoothly. We get along well. It feels like we have known each other forever.

I'm done with my usual morning routine. The least I can do is keep everything in perfect order. With my wrist healed, I can use it. It's not as efficient but it's progress. Chuck asked me if I want a daytime maid. He said he can make it work. I told him to give me the money he's planning to give to the maid. He found humour in it but I wasn't joking. I'm fist out broke.