Chapter 35: The St Patrick Heir Part 1

Gayatri's POV
When I was living with my parents, whenever they had a disagreement, they never made it obvious. It was hard to tell because they would treat each other with kindness and respect. I'm glad I was an observer of such mature behavior because I want to extend Chuck kindness and respect even in this moment when I'm boiling with rage.

When he came home, he kissed me and it just didn't feel the same. It felt like a stranger kissed me and I had no choice but to stand still at take it. Like the intuitive man he is, he felt something was wrong and he asked me if I'm okay. I had to come up with something. I told him I'm not feeling well. I lied about having a period. Nothing unnerves a man like that.

I served up a plate of food for him and presented it without saying anything.

"Thank you." He grimaced a little. "Are you okay little flower?"

Little flower is not okay!

How was he with Beverly? Why was he with Beverly? She has a black heart! The only thing he could have seen is her pretty face!

"I'm just tired."

"Do you need anything? What makes you feel better? Chocolates? Something sweet? Something salty?"

I must admit that it is hard to be mad at Chuck. "I'm okay. I'll just go to bed."

"Does anything hurt? Do you need painkillers? A massage-"

"I'm fine! I don't need anything!" I snapped at him.

I went to the bed and got under the covers, pulling them over my head at once. It became suddenly quiet. I can't hear him doing anything. Am I being unfair to him? Th look he gave me when I snapped at him is troubling me. He's confused.

I peeled the covers slightly to take a peek of him. He's hunched over, probably on his phone. The thought of who he could be texting came over me. I'm tempted to crawl over and check but he got up suddenly, carrying the plate of food to the fridges. I covered myself and listened to him heading i to the bathroom for a shower. Before he goes to bed,Chuck likes to shower. Early in the morning he will do it again. He's a clean freak.

I need to confront him about the source of the money, Beverly and Phinney. I want to know who else has come before me! How I go about it is something I'm not sure about.

He came into bed quietly. The smell of his citric shower gel is strong. It's begging my senses to turn around and pay attention to him.

"Gayatri." He addressed me in a firm tone of voice.

Like a good little girl, I answered. "Yes?"

"It feels like this is more than a period. Have I done anything to upset you?"

You have lied Chuck! You have lied!

My mind's screams are the kind of words I should echo. I'm thinking that it would be best to be like ma and pappa in this situation. Even if there are no children here there is no need to burn bridges and make tomorrow awkward.

"You were my first. Did you notice?" I asked him.

I very much noticed the blood on the sheets the next day. I was busy scrubbing then in the sink when he went out to run an errand.

"Yes, I noticed." My heart beat is rising. He didn't say anything. "And I appreciated it. It's the most beautiful gift you have ever given me."

Beautiful gift... the way he puts it mellows me and makes me angry the same time because Phinney said he was her first! Is this something he does? Is he a cherry popper?

"Was I your first?"

He chuckled deeply. It made me smile. This is confusing! Am I not supposed to be angry? Why am I smiling?