17: Well Meaning Father?

Gayatri's POV
"Wake up sis!" My eyes shot open and I almost screamed when I saw Diya on top of me.

"Diya!"

"Do you sleep with your mouth open?"

"No!"

She's eating grapes. "I was tempted to drop one inside your mouth but I realized it's a choking hazard and you are my favorite sibling so I stopped myself."

"Get off me Diya."

"You slept in your clothes? Sis watch the waistline!" She poked the spot above the stuck zip.

"Maa purposely bought a small skirt to remind me I'm getting fat. It's her polite way of saying so." I yawned.

I came home and slept. I stopped at Chuck's to vent but he wasn't home.

"I'm having a great morning!" She informed me. "Maa did not get out of bed this morning. She's so embarrassed and devastated about how her children behaved last night." She laughed wickedly and rolled off the bed.

I hurt her feelings. She just wanted to show off. But I think... I strongly believe Curran's offense was worse than mine!

"And pappa?"

"Pappa wants to talk to you. This thing with Arjun us serious. If I were you I'd listen and know if it's set in stone."

"Set in stone?" I asked.

Diya put on a serious expression. "Pappa feels your stay here has made you disrespectful and rotten. Gayatri, he was talking about taking you back to India."

"No!" I shrieked.

"If I were you, I would play along. If you fight him off, he will get aggressive. When he calls to ask to meet, agree. Apologize for your behavior so that he calms down."

"Is there anything to apologize for Diya? Arjun was a total jerk!"

"And I applaud you for putting him in his place! But you know we only win against maa. We don't win against pappa! He's the one who steps in to crash rebellions in the Varma household! If you fight against him you will lose. I don't want you to marry Arjun! I'll have to bring a gun to your wedding and I'll go away for murder! Before it gets there, play nice and find a way out."

I calmed down.

I felt her hand under my chin. What's wrong?"

I want to tell her everything that is happening to me. I really do. But I am ashamed that I can't keep myself together. I'm spiralling. Maybe someday I'll tell her.

"I'm just tired. Last night was horrible. How is Karan?"

"He died like lightning. He's probably in Switzerland by now. Did this happen after punching Arjun?" She noted the swollen wrist. "It looks... see a doctor." She picked up her purse. "And always lock your door! You live in a bad neighborhood! Love you!" She left.

I fell back on the bed.

She's right. Pappa will reign hell of I do not comply.

Is it a bad idea to get Chuck to commit to a relationship like right now and have him fight for me? My father won't even give him a second look. He wants me to marry an Indian man to preserve our culture. He wants me to marry rich. Chuck is neither of those things but he's such a great guy! There's more to a person than race and a family name!

I slowly eased myself out of bed. I don't have enough money to go to hospital. In fact, I need to sit down and seriously look at my account. It's bad.

I took a quick shower and made my way downstairs. I was about to ring his doorbell when he came up the stairs. "Good morning neighbor!" He sang. He's such a light! "Thy hands are bare. Where is the breakfast?"