9: To Lovers & Friends Part 1

Chuck's POV
It's been another great night.

Sex with Phinney is hot!

Sex with Bev is meaningful. I really really like her. I want to call it love but I'm scared to. There's something about her that dampens my enthusiasm to make this relationship official. But I cannot keep being her boy toy.

Coming over for sex and doing the walk of shame after just makes me feel cheap. I dint want to be used. I have decided to give an ultimatum. I don't know what she will say.

"Oh! Awake already?" She smiled at me. "Cab money?"

She thinks I'm broke and that she's doing me a favor by giving me cab money. It's quite embarrassing really. "I'm good. Can we talk?"

"Let's talk tomorrow night?" She asked.

Talk means pillow talk. Only the sheets know our secrets.

"Now would be great."

She stalked my way in seductive way, taking handfuls of my jacket to draw me closer to her lips. She smells divinely sweet. It's tempting to overlook this conversation.

"Why are you so serious?"

I gripped her jaw. "Beverly, I have an ultimatum that will either end this or be the stepping stone we need for the next level. I want you to be my girlfriend. Not in a casual way but really my girlfriend."

"Like exclusive?"

Hasn't she been exclusive? Wait, I haven't either. Been hitting it hard with Phinney. That has to end if she accepts

"Yes."

"Chuck, I already told you that in not looking for anything serious."

"I'm telling you that I want something serious or no more sex."

"Shit." She covered her face. "When I reached out to you, I expected something like this. I... I like you Chuck. What the hell? Let's give it a try!"

My heart leaped. I will make her fall in love with me!

Phinney's POV
I'm terrible at keeping a boyfriend. I dump them fast! They are never good enough. I can't say there is anything particularly wrong with them other than the usual shortcomings in all human beings, men in particular. I would say, "it's me". The reason I say so is because someone ruined it for all men. That someone is Charles Christopher St Patrick.

I compare every guy I date to Chuck. None of them are Chuck. That is why they last a couple of days or a couple of weeks. When I end it, I end long periods of celibacy from Chuck. I'm so happy that we have a casual thing going on because that makes up for every bad relationship I have been in. The rebound sex is the hottest I have ever had. To him, it's just that, sex. To me, it has always been something else. Something deeper. Something special. Something beautiful.

"Are you listening? You look distracted."

I have been looking at my phone. Chuck says the 3B neighbor is a great cook and he's worried he's going to put on weight. He is always praising the tray of food she leaves at his door. My mother told me the way to a man's heart is through the stomach and I should learn how to cook. The 3B girl better not get any ideas because I want Chuck to myself.

"Yeah." I shrugged at the guy I met online. He offered to take me out to dinner. I didn't want to but I have to show Chuck that I'm not interested in him. If he catches on, our friendship will suffer. That is just the thing about falling in love with your best friend. There's a risk of losing the friendship. "Just checking on something."