Chapter 37

Suddenly the phone rings."Hello...may I know who it is please..I had a missed call from this number..?" A soft voice inquired from the other end.
Hello" answered Samar. Racheal shuddered trying to ignore the sudden trembling in her stomach and keep her voice even." I am Samar" He introduced himself politely.
" Ahhh...hello.." was all Racheal was able to say.."
"Did you recognise me?" He spoke softly, unsure what to say next.
"Yes doctor.." she replied.
" I am free today so I was wondering if we could meet for coffee today...are you free in the afternoon? " Samar responded hoping to hear yes from her.
"Anything serious doctor..?" panicked Racheal.Innumerable conflicting emotions engulfed her. "Nothing serious. I just wanted to see you..can we meet up.?. " demanded Samar in despair.
" Well I am free..where shall we meet?" she inquired softly.His happiness and excitement elevated as he gave her the direction of the location for their meetup.
Racheal stiffened when she entered the coffee shop. Samar was already there. He was looking out of the window and did not see her walk in. As she walked in, he turned to her and smiled. Their eyes met as she floated into the room in her boots and knee length knitted woolen dress. She noticed how handsome he looked in his black jacket and navy blue trousers.
It was a perfect coffee date where in the perfect way the two newly met couples in love got to know each other better. They started the date off with a cup of coffee and some light conversation. It was a cozy cafe with a relaxed atmosphere. Raceal noticed that Samar was a good conversationalist. He made sure to keep the conversation light and fun.He asked her about her hobbies, interests, and backgrounds. All she had to do was answer his questions.
She was at ease and her nervousness disappeared slowly as he tried to make her home in the cozy little coffee shop just half an hour away from her home. She giggled endlessly as he cracked jokes about his profession and life. He had a great sense of humor and was pretty easy to talk to.
They discussed his divorce and she felt sadness and fear creep in as she remembered Alex and her ongoing divorce paperwork. It felt as if she had known Samar forever. They laughed and enjoyed the coffee date. Samar seemed relaxed and acted as if the whole afternoon belonged to the two of them and he seemed in no hurry to leave the cafe or Racheal.
"I am sure you aren't in a hurry. Would you like to go for a drive?" Samar asked after a short pause. He wasn't ready to let her go yet. Racheal's smile grew brighter as they walked to his neatly parked black SUV. They drove endlessly and surprisingly they behaved like two long lost friends. She couldn't help laughing at his silly stories of his younger self. She knew he was trying to lighten up her moods.
She was in love..and she did figure out that Samar was interested in her too."So how is the divorce paperwork treating you..?" He asked softly, seeking her attention. "It will be over in a few months...I think ..," Racheal replied without looking at him. " Are you happy?" He inquired curiously. "I think I am...I'm just a little scared."
She heaved a sigh of relief and turned towards him. He was looking straight ahead at the road. She studied him closely and a swell of love and sympathy washed over her. She wondered how difficult his divorce must have been for him. A sharp piercing pain stabbed her chest. He turned towards her and for a brief second their eyes met.He looked disappointed. Racheal looked out of the window and pondered about his life...his past life.