Chapter 30

Suddenly the banging on the door stopped. A sigh of relief left Racheal. She wondered if Alex had a company who had stopped him from banging the door. Her heart was pounding. She was scared.. very scared. She heard Alex talking to the neighbor. Racheal heard more footsteps. She waited quietly hoping Alex would calm down.

Alia was weeping. Racheal sat on the bed and patted Alia trying to calm her. Everyone seemed to have gone downstairs as there seemed to be no commotion outside her door. She wanted to go down but she was scared. Troubling thoughts disturbing her seemed to get louder. She was ill and almost threw up on the bed. Rushing to the bathroom, she threw up in the pan. Her head was reeling and burning. By now she was trembling.

After a few minutes, she lay down beside Alia and closed her eyes. She knew she had to leave for Nepal immediately. Her health was deteriorating and all she wanted to do was escape from this man. It was quite late when Racheal thought of confronting her husband. She turned on the lights and put her ears on the door. Alia was looking at with big, scared eyes. A lot of thoughts crossed Racheal mind. She was a troubled woman but she decided to talk to her husband and leave for Kathmandu immediately.

She opened the door and walked downstairs to check who were there. Alex's friend had left. The maid and the driver was nowhere in sight. Alex was sitting on a coach with a glass of scotch. Softly she climbed downstairs. Alex turned towards her. He looked calmer. She went and sat next to him hesitantly.
"Alex I am sorry. I was very disturbed. But I need to tell you that I'm flying back to Kathmandu with Alia tomorrow. Papa and momma are still in Delhi. They need me. He didn't respond nor did he look at her. Instead he got up and left the room. " So this is it."
Racheal thought aloud.

The next day Alia and Racheal flew to Nepal. Alex did not leave his room. Nor did he see them off. Racheal had not seen him since yesterday except to bid him goodbye. She was very smart and did not provoke him. One thing was confirmed. She was filing a divorce after she reached Nepal.

They landed safely but Racheal could not stop her mind from chattering. On reaching home, she heaved a sigh of relief . There was a humongous mountain ahead of her. But Racheal was sick very sick. Her whole body ached. She was nauseous. Her mind was chattering. She needed help immediately.
She had talked to her mother who sounded quite concerned.

Racheal made a few calls to different hospitals searching for a psychiatrist as recommended by her father. She booked an appointment for the next day.
The maid brought her tea and Alia followed her carrying a plate of mac and cheese. She was grinning and looked very happy. The maid held Alia's hand and left the room asking whether to leave the door open. "Shut the door please..!" Racheal confirmed.
Racheal sipped the tea as her mind raced aimlessly. It was getting harder for her to think clearly. She hoped there was nothing wrong with her.

Her mind raced trying to recollect the things that had been troubling her so far. It was a cold a December afternoon. Racheal could feel the chills penetrating her body. The air conditioning it seemed, wasn't enough for Racheal. Alia sat next to her and was enjoying the dinner. "Aren't you feeling cold?" Racheal asked her, stroking her arms. " Yes" she replied without looking at her mom. Racheal waited for her to speak more but she was busy eating her dinner. She was wearing a thick hooded fleece jacket and trousers. Racheal covered her daughter's head with the attached cap and stared at the white bowl full of Mac and cheese.

She didn't know what to expect next. She had not informed her parents about her decisions. She had never mentioned about the conflicts in her marriage. She had to ensure Alia was fine. She had no plans whatsoever. She trembled a little. She wondered if it was the cold or the fear. Racheal increased the heat of the air conditioner and rummaged through her suitcase and pulled out a shawl to cover herself. " First I need a doctor." She thought yo her self.

She recalled all the symptoms she had been experiencing lately. She was always tired, her head and her limbs ached. She often  felt nauseous. All she wanted to do was lie down and go off to sleep. She felt heavy and lethargic. And surprisingly no tears left her eyes and mind would go blank now and then.
She hoped her doctor would find a cure for her.
" Didi, the dinner is ready. Would you like to eat here?" The maid asked her bringing her back to life.