Chapter 31

The next day Alia and Racheal flew to Nepal. Alex did not leave his room. Nor did he see them off. Racheal had not seen him since yesterday except to bid him goodbye. She was very smart and did not provoke him. One thing was confirmed. She was filing a divorce after she reached Nepal.
They landed safely but Racheal could not stop her mind from chattering. On reaching home, she heaved a sigh of relief . There was a humongous mountain ahead of her. And Racheal was very sick. Her whole body ached. She was nauseous. Her mind was chattering. She needed help immediately. She had talked to her mother after reaching Kathmandu. Liza  sounded quite concerned.
Racheal made a few calls to different hospitals searching for a psychiatrist as recommended by her father. She booked an appointment for the next day.
The maid brought her tea and Alia followed her carrying a plate of mac and cheese. She was grinning and looked very happy. The maid held Alia's hand and left the room asking whether to leave the door open. "Shut the door please..!" Racheal confirmed.
Racheal sipped the tea as her mind raced aimlessly. It was getting harder for her to think clearly. She hoped there was nothing wrong with her.
Her mind raced trying to recollect the things that had been troubling her so far. It was a cold a October afternoon. Racheal could feel the chills penetrating her body. The air conditioning, it seemed, wasn't enough for Racheal. Alia sat next to her and was enjoying the dinner. "Aren't you feeling cold?" Racheal asked her, stroking her arms. " Yes" she replied without looking at her mom.
Racheal waited for her to speak more but she was busy eating her dinner. She was wearing a thick hooded fleece jacket and trousers. Racheal covered her daughter's head with the attached cap and stared at the white bowl full of Mac and cheese.
She didn't know what to expect next. She had not informed her parents about her decisions. She had never mentioned the conflicts in her marriage. She had to ensure Alia was fine. She had no plans whatsoever. She trembled a little. She wondered if it was the cold or the fear.
Racheal increased the heat of the air conditioner and rummaged through her suitcase and pulled out a shawl to cover herself. " First I need a doctor." She thought to herself. She booked an appointment  with Samar Pradhan, a psychiatrist.
She recalled all the symptoms she had been experiencing lately. She was always tired, her head and her limbs ached. She often  felt nauseous. All she wanted to do was lie down and go off to sleep. She felt heavy and lethargic. And surprisingly no tears left her eyes and her mind would go blank now and then.
She hoped that her doctor would find a cure for her. " Didi, the dinner is ready. Would you like to eat here?" The maid asked her, bringing her back to life.