Chapter 34

Morning walks kept Rachael alert and energetic but due to the innumerable incidents in her life lately, she had skipped her walks. But she had pledged to start walking again. So she staggered painfully the next morning. She had skipped her walks and yoga for over a month. She was lethargic and her body felt heavy.
The doctor had advised her to start living normally and to follow her normal schedules as early as possible. He had assured her that her illness was nothing serious. "Mental illness is as common as cold and a few medicines and self care is all you need to get back to your healthy shape." He had assured her. He had smiled at her with troubled eyes.
The road was empty and silence embraced almost everything except for a few vans carrying milk and a few bicycles with tall milk jars dangling on both sides of the rear wheel. A senior lady walked in front of her dragging her feet. The atmosphere was peaceful and calm.The cool air swept her hair and caressed her face gently.
Racheal inhaled a breadth of fresh air and shut her eyes. She stood still and placed her hands on her hips and wondered if she should complete her 10,000 steps today. Ofcourse she was trying to build stamina but it seemed that she was not prepared for her mission. So she decided to take the nearest bend and head back home.
A young couple holding hands and panting heavily and talking loudly hurried past her. She remembered her and Alex's precious morning walks. She could never keep up with his pace and he never lowered his pace for her. She did try to match up with him but as he was lankier, he had longer strides and moved faster than her. She had grumbled quite a few times which eventually put an end to their morning walks.
It was ages back but she did remember her squabbles with him.Suddenly she stumbled on something but a pair of strong arms stopped her from falling."Becareful." She heard him mumble. She recognised the voice immediately. Racheal looked up at him.
His hair was ruffled and a black mask was covering half of his face. He turned his face towards Racheal without meeting her gaze and nodded when Racheal thanked him. He was a foot away from her. " Are you alright?" His eyes narrowed as he looked at her.
"Yea I am." Muttered Racheal trying to ignore the sudden trembling in her stomach and struggling to keep her voice even. She met his gaze as his eyes grew perceptibly darker. They looked at each other with an uncomfortable pause.
"Are you sure Racheal?" Samar demanded urgently.She nodded cheerfully trying to pretend that he had no influence on her." She stood there, too nervous to speak and watched him uncomfortably. She was electrically aware of Samar standing close enough to touch her.
She shifted her gaze to the nearby lamp post wondering if it was merely an invention of her imagination." How have you been?" She heard him ask and could sense him studying her face. Racheal tried to sound bright and enthusiastic. " I am doing fine, doc." Her voice was almost inaudible.
She floundered as he examined her smile, clearly not happy with her response."How far do you live from here? He demanded urgently.He had no reasons to be concerned, she thought to herself." About half an hour....from here.." she mumbled after a pause."I will walk you home."He ordered tilting his head on one side, scaling the empty road in front of them with his eyes. A shadow of concern engulfed his face as he requested," Let's walk towards your home." " No..no I can go by myself." She replied with an unintentional note of petulance in her voice.
" I live here.Do you live here too?" He implored, pretending to sound friendly.
"Seriously?" She grinned."I live here too." Her face lit up like a kid's face does when she sees a lollipop. She was thrilled. He nodded once again without a word and stared at the empty road in front of him which was lined by trees on either side. She trotted along happily.
He followed her with a wide smile."Actually I live in Singapore but I am in an estranged relationship. Maybe we will divorce soon" She blurted out without breathing. And heaved a sigh of relief looking around nervously." Their eyes met for a flip of a second and a fleeting twinkle lit up his eyes." I am divorcee too." He chuckled and continued softly as if to calm her"You will be fine." He was looking straight ahead and walking steadily.
"When are you planning to get divorced?" Samar asked curiously. "Haven't decided yet. But I have already left him." Her lips twitched fighting a smile. She was enjoying her freedom and happiness. "Great."He replied in a guarded voice. They walked the remaining distance quietly without exchanging any words.
"Here we go.I live here at my parents' home." She informed him." However my parents are away in Delhi for my father's treatment" Samar's eyes narrowed and before he could say anything, Racheal blurted out, "He is fighting cancer. I am here as my daughter is here with me." Racheal straightened up swiftly and looked away from him. He nodded again and quietly turned and left. After watching Samar leave, unlocked the gate and walked in.