Chapter 16

The lift was crowded. A couple of patients in wheel chairs. A few nurses, some visitors and some cleaners with buckets. She didn't want to get into the crowded lift so she decided to walk down as she had enough time to kill. She walked down slowly towards the stairs which was in the adjoining lobby. A few doctors nodded and smiled and rushed up and down the stairs. She assumed they must have gone for dinner too and smiled to herself. Racheal had a world of her own inside her which often pulled her away from the world outside. And she didn't mind it at all. Infact it helped her to get away from the earthly drama which everyone loved. She climbed down the six flight of stairs without realizing that she had climbed down a lot of stairs.

She wasn't tired as her mind was somewhere else. She was busy thinking of the man she had met at the Airport. She wasn't sure what was happening and it did feel good. But she was longing to know what was happening. She walked towards the canteen which had been separated from the lobby by a transparent glass partition with a few emblem. She looked in and to her dismay, it was packed with people. Some were standing in queue to buy or order the meals. It looked stuffy and Racheal stood holding the door wondering whether to walk in or not. " Excuse me." A woman in her mid seventies, holding a walking stick and limping smiled at her. Racheal shifted away from the door as she held it open for her. " thank you." She smiled as Racheal closed the door behind her and walked away from the crowded canteen.

She walked towards the crowded lobby with a huge flatscreen and people sitting in front and watching some movies. It was a waiting lounge so she guessed they must have been visitors. Quietly she slipped into the main lobby which led to the main gate and walked out through the door, thanking the gate keeper who held the door open for her. She walked passed the pavement lined with shrubs and watched the cars drive out through the driveway which led to the Exit Gate. There was a different gate for the pedestrians. She walked out hugging her purse and stood on the pavement outside the hospital wondering which way to go.

She walked towards the pathway they had drove, while coming to the hospital because she had seen a few good restaurants there. She walked slowly as her head was filled with thoughts and the image of the man she couldn't shake off. It was a feeling Racheal could not comprehend. She wasn't being herself. She was a calm and reserved woman when it came to emotions which usually came across as coldness to some who wasn't close to her. But that was who she was. She was a very private person when it came the emotions and personal life. She wasn't comfortable sharing it with the world. That was the major difference which cracked the relationship with her husband. He loved being around people and wasn't very guarded when it came to relationships whereas, she was very serious and committed when it came to her personal life or relationship and shied away from people.

She remembered her daughter and looked at her watch wondering if she had taken her dinner. As she had changed the time in her watch, she assumed that she must have returned from school. She  took out her cell phone and dialed her daughter in the landline which was an extension of the family room's telephone. She picked it up in just three rings," Hello.," she shrieked in a high pitched voice. She must have been expecting Racheal's  call. She blurted out the whole day's story randomly. The way kids generally do. Racheal smiled as she couldn't make sense of some of the things she said. The stories of her school and friends.

It was nice listening to her ramble. She went on with her monologue until finally she asked, "..,,have you reached Delhi?" " Yes." Racheal smiled and remembered her daughter's wide eyed and surprised face. She like any other kids had an innocence in them which made Racheal very happy. The untouched innocence, purity and curiosity was very peaceful to watch. She loved kids and it always made her happy to be around them.