In The Eye of a Fateful Hurricane

Alan was on the brink.

Todd managed to give him some hope that he could get through to Riz, but it was quickly snuffed out. By the time he finally got to the bridge, he witnessed the bear slamming Legosi onto one of the columns. Seeing that alone froze him in place, an all-too-familiar dread showing itself again. He knew he couldn't step in yet— at the very least to see if Riz would stop or even step back a little.

But part of him knew it was useless.

When Legosi astonishingly managed to stay awake, Riz told the truth. He really did kill Tem— he ate the alpaca and convinced himself that it was a bond. He sounded so resigned, like it didn't matter anymore! The bear accepted it just like that, and kept the lie going up until Legosi caught on. If Alan wasn't close to losing himself before, he was getting pretty close now!

He struggled not to clench his fists, knowing his nails were already sharpened. Originally, he hoped to talk Riz down and keep the fight from going too far— but it didn't matter now. There were no words to be had, no heartfelt appeal or happy ending. This world wouldn't allow that— nor would it ever, if it were even possible. Once he locked eyes with the bear, he knew he couldn't sway him.

And now...they stood at the climax.

"Alan-san...", Riz's voice was barely above a whisper.

"I didn't want it to be you."

"How did you find out? Did Legosi—"

"He didn't.", he cut him off. "I found out on my own...but I guess it was too late."

"I...I didn't want you to find out—"

"Find out what?!", he clenched his fists tightly as he teetered over the edge. "That you lied to everyone in the Drama Club, let things get so bad that Kibi nearly lost his arm, challenged Legosi to a deathmatch— all because you couldn't turn back on your beliefs?!"

"I didn't know any of that would happen.", the bear tried to reason. "I didn't expect Legosi to find out, but after the rooftop—"

"No! You could've made it right— you could've confessed! But you kept lying to everyone, to me!"

He bowed his head and shook, "I told you about An-Man, how I felt like an outsider here in the city..."

Alan was reaching his limit, he could feel it.

"How I felt like Tem died because of me..."

His heart began to pound, burning in his chest.

"All of that...and yet you kept it from everyone."

"Alan, I—"

The human finally broke, then. His body surged with rage, all his hope gone. He lunged forward, making the bear recoil in surprise as he punched him square in the stomach. Riz doubled over slightly, only getting a second to look at him before getting another punch to the face. Alan didn't let up, though, far from done. He wasn't in a trance like before, he was clear and lucid.

"You damn bastard!", he growled out as he swung again before Riz caught it.

"Alan, please.", the bear said as he got up. "Don't do this. What about Legosi?"

For a moment, he actually stopped.

~~*~~

"Good thing the train masked our footsteps."

"Legosi, I'm sorry I'm late...", Louis said. "What are you going to do now?"

"Louis-senpai, it's okay now. Thanks for coming to see me.", he smiled. "I can't help smiling...I'll never have another New Year's Eve like this again."