tate langdon: only one

word count: 920
________
i watched from behind as tate and lillian walked out of school together. lily had straight pretty hair, a contagious laugh, and she seemed to get along with boys so easily. i had none of these traits.

i shouldn't be upset. tate and i aren't even dating.

the truth was i was scared every second since tate and i started talking that he would find someone better and ghost me. if it was anyone, it would for sure be lily. i sighed, keeping my head down as i walked out of school and onto my bus. usually tate was on the bus before me but i got on first because he was still talking to lily. i picked a seat close to the window and shoved my airpods into my ears, blasting my playlist to get my mind off of tate and how jealous and in love i was becoming. i leaned my head against the chilly window and shut my eyes, taking in the music i was blasting. tate never ended up sitting next to me, again. i was hoping he would. he hasn't sat with me on the bus once. he always sits alone with those damn sony headphones of his, tuning out the world. my heart ached at the thought that maybe he didn't actually like me.

when it came to our stop, i took out my airpods and got off after him.

"you okay?" he asked me as we walked down the block to our houses.

"yeah..why?" i snapped myself out of my self critical stance.

"i don't know, usually we are already talking by now. thought maybe you were upset."

"oh no, i'm okay." i softly smiled.

"good." he said. "do you still want to come over for a movie tonight."

fuck. forgot about that. somehow it makes me more upset.

"yes. 6 right?"

"you can come over earlier if you'd like." he smiled, putting his arm around mr and slightly hugging me for a split second before pulling away to walk up his driveway. i smiled and waved bye.

maybe i'm overthinking. it's all okay.

i took a deep breath and walked up to my house. i showered, blow dried my hair, got changed, and waited for the time to pass patiently.

time passed, and eventually i found myself at tates doorstep waiting for him to open up his front door.

"come in.." he smiled, motioning me inside his home.

he had a couch up in his bedroom, where we sat.

"so, what are we gonna do?" i asked, looking over at him.

"fuck?" he laughed.

i shook my head lightly, smiling.

"no i'm kidding...i was thinking we could watch a movie and maybe go down to the beach after dark."

"i've been wanting to watch scream 5, have you seen it?"

"we can."

i leaned back on the couch, watching the remote move each letter to spell the title of the movie. he leaned back too, close to me. he put his arm around me. i tried to ease into him, but for some reason i was scared.

"hey, you sure you're okay?" he asked me softly, "you're tense."

"yeah, sorry."

i couldn't ease up at all. tate started to pick up on this. about half an hour went by, and tate felt the uncomfortable energy in the room. he sighed, shutting off the tv.

"what was that for?" i asked, clueless.

"talk to me."

"what?"

"i can tell somethings off."

i shyly smiled. we let the silence ring for a moment.

"i'm scared i'm not the only girl." i confessed.

"what do you mean y/n?"

"i don't know...now i feel stupid." i moved away.

"no tell me." he looked me in the eyes but i refused to hold eye contact and instead looked down.

"i don't know tate." i said, "sorry."

he placed his hand on my leg.

"it's okay." his voice spoke softly.

i took a shaky breath.

"i saw you walking with lily today. and yesterday. then sitting with caroline in the library. then you didn't sit with me on the bus."

"lily's my lab partner. i had 10th period with her. trust me, i don't like lily. and caroline, she's a lesbian." he said, "and i'm sorry i didn't sit with you today but i promise promise you that you are the only girl. i like you, y/n."

i tucked my ear behind my ears and i kept my quiet.

"the reason i asked you over tonight was because i wanted to ask you to be my girlfriend." he admitted, his voice soft and sweet.

i looked up at him. my eyes relaxed.

"are you being serious?" i asked, trying not to become too happy too soon.

his lips pursed with a small smile. he pulled me in softly and hugged me close. i rested my head against his chest.

"i'm sorry i made you feel like that, but it's not true at all. you are the only one."

i hugged him back, taking in his scent and his warmth.

"yes." i replied.

"yes what?"

"yes. i'll be your girlfriend."

tate smiled, pulling away and looking at me in the eyes for a split second before placing a kiss on my forehead and then my lips.

"you know, i've been wanting to ask you to for a while.." he smiled.

"and what took so long?" i smiled back.

"nerves. i guess. but i'm happy your mine now."

"i'm happy too tate."