kit walker: escape gone wrong

"go to the bathroom just as clock hits 10:30, alright?" kit told me, waving me goodbye.

"i will." i said.

i was kind of nervous. kit and i were planning on escaping the asylum tonight. we'd been here for months, and have been coming up with an escape plan for a little less then half of that.

"be safe." he whispered, pulling me into a hug. he took this hug in, smelling my hair and just feeling me in his arms.

"you too. love you."

we parted our ways, leaving each other to go with our gender assigned groups to complete our day in this dreadful asylum.

kit was nervous, and so was i. the whole day we spent just thinking of the possible outcomes of what could happen tonight during and before our escape.

it was movie night, so a movie would be playing in the main room until 11pm in which we were all are expected to attend. everyone is occupied and not on as high alert during movies, so we figured this would be the perfect moment for us to sneak down to the basement and out of this hell-hole.

as the movie played, kit and i nervously glanced at eachother throughout most of the movie. kit was really nervous, but tried not to show it for me and for the sake of not getting caught.

kit glanced over at the clock, 10:30. he looked back over and nodded at me to go ahead and ask to go to the bathroom.

"can i go to the bathroom?" i asked one of the nuns.

"sure. be back in 5 minutes."

i nodded, making my way down the hall and to the bathroom entrance. just as i was doing this, kit was doing the same thing. asking to go to the bathroom.

we met at the girls bathroom entrance.

"you ready?" he asked me.

"yeah, i think so."

we quickly and quietly made our way down to the basement, hand in hand. nerves running through our bodies.

as we got down the stairs to the basement, i stared to become a little paranoid.

"did you hear that?" i stopped him.

he looked at me, and he could tell i was scared.

"it's okay." he assured me, kissing my forehead. "c'mon let's go."

we scurried down the rest of the steps and kit began going through to find the opening so we could escape.

he let go of my hand and pulled on this huge black steel window cover.

"oh,shit." he whispered.

"what?" i freaked, and then i began to hear what he heard. the staff was searching for us. "oh no."

he kept pulling on the window cover, but it wouldn't budge.

"let me take the blame." he said.

"uhm no, kit. i'm not letting you do that."

the footsteps got closer.

"yeah. i'm taking the blame. stop."

"kit. no." i said, "i don't want you to get hurt."