Chapter 16 One Fine Day

Jay

The sun had finally come out.

Ren and I made a way along the beach, I could hear the music as we approached one of the snack bars which was much busier than usual. It was running power out to a small decked area which housed a PA system with several DJs playing different sets. It seemed to be mostly chillout music at the moment which suited the crowd, there was a real mix of locals and tourist lounging about.

One thing I'd learnt about the English was that they loved their Sunday lunch. Come rain or shine they always served it no matter what. It was like a mini Thanksgiving dinner every Sunday. There were roasted meats, potatoes, vegetables, gravy and sometimes a thing called a Yorkshire pudding which was definitely not a desert. All the bars pubs and restaurants had it on the menu and they were usually packed out. Many people ate and drank and stayed out all afternoon and so the Sunday sessions on the beach were born.

We weaved our way through the groups sat out on the sand. Ren eye'd many of the people hanging about and started her furious texting. We passed a group of guys drinking beer at one of the tables near a makeshift dance floor. They craned their necks as we passed and someone called out

"Blondie over here, I saved the best place for you."

Instead of responding, she ushered me towards a spot away from the crowd on the outskirts. Able to see the comings and goings but not close enough to be social.

Reaching into her bag she pulled out a couple of bottles of beer and passed one to me "So spill it. You look like the cat that got the cream. What have you been up to?"

"Nothing,"

Ren snorted "Yeah yeah,Miss America. Come on. I won't give up, I'm relentless."

"Parker stayed over."

"I knew it! My plan worked then?"

"What plan?"

"That Parker wouldn't let Taylor take you home from the fair and had to step in."

"Not exactly. I did get a ride with Taylor. We just ran into Parker later that's all."

Ren raised one eyebrow "Taylor never said?" I didn't really want to talk about the whole sleeping in the car thing. Ren might already know, but I knew Parker was definitely a private sort of guy. I tried to change the subject.

"He's such a good kisser."

"Who, Parker or Taylor?" Ren seemed keen to clarify.

"Parker of course. He really made me laugh too."

"You mean Mr serious cracked a joke? Now there's something I would have paid to see." I smiled to myself. I loved the fact that I got to see that side of him.

"Did you two...?" She now arched the other eyebrow. God this girl's face was expressive, her dark eyebrows almost always did the talking.

No, we didn't um, you know." I felt my face get hot, I was sure even my scalp was blushing.

"You are just too cute California. Can you even say the word sex? I've never had a problem with it. To be honest, I've never understood what all the fuss was about."

Ren was complex. She just dripped sex appeal. Guy's drool literally followed her around. She had a skanky rep according to Loaf and yet she seemed completely disinterested whenever I'd spent any time with her. She definitely had a love hate relationship with men. She could be openly hostile and covertly wary when she thought no one was looking. I had only ever seen her flirt when she wanted something, usually liquor or a ride someplace.