Chapter 6 - Phenex God Pt. 4/10 "Thaumaturgic Device"

"Talking"
'Thinking'
"Flashback"
"Attack/Name"
"Narrator"

Jerusalem

   Jumping down into the dusty courtyard, the Slayer pulled out his crimson sword. An ominous red light shone in the dull moonlight. A hooded figure ran the Slayer, a circle of light enveloping his extended arm. However before the figure could do anything, the Slayer dashed at it before slicing it in half.

   Turning to face another corridor, he saw a group of more figures. Behind them were towering boulder-like golems which were glowing an eerie purple hue.

   Cracking his knuckles, the Slayer burst forwards, his sword glowing as he sent out a wave of green and red energy, slicing through the group. The surrounding buildings were scorched, some even bowing inwards. Yet everything seemed to be standing as his attack was fairly weak.

   Looking behind, he saw his companion run towards him. With an almost giddy smile, Marisbury stated, "That was certainly an entrance. The church knows we're here. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few Servants summoned for the sake of defending this complex."

   Nodding in agreement, the Slayer moved past the bodies of the ruined figures. Luckily none of them were human, only golems or puppets which were programmed for the sake of defending this place.

   He felt as if the head of a puppet crushed underneath his boot, a slight pleasure rising in hearing something so familiar to him. Regardless of the familiarity, he pushed past the small corridor before reaching a wooden door. Deciding that stealth would be warranted, Marisbury stated, "Let's go inside, make our way through this complex inside the buildings."

   Nodding, the Slayer followed the Mage as he pushed through the door. The room was only a small foyer, with two hallways each facing opposite the other. Left would be a dead end, as the hallway reached the end of the building. The right would take them parallel to the path they were on the outside, though they would be covered from aerial assault.

   Rushing past Marisbury, the Slayer took the lead. He ignored the various wooden doors which whizzed past him, all of them most likely led to an office or storage room. At the end of the hall was a small room, the hall continuing past the room. Inspecting it, the Slayer saw a small staircase to his right hugging the stone walls. Deciding that was the best part, he led Marisbury up the wooden boards and hobbled together into a staircase.

   Once they reached the landing, they saw another door at the opposite corner which led to a balcony outside. The only other path was yet another which stretched parallel to the one downstairs, only on the upper floor.

   Opening the door, the two saw a small catwalk-like bridge that extended over the alleyway they were previously in. The building opposite looked to be a much larger one, extending four stories in height compared to the two buildings they were standing. To the left of the larger structure was a large circular-shaped building that was capped off by a golden dome, a small spire at the very top.

   Both Marisbury and the Slayer decided that was the place they needed to go. The Slayer grabbed Marisbury, before jumping onto the roof of the four-story building. Upon landing, both began to run towards the larger structure in the near distance, ignoring the amount of noise they were making.

   Suddenly the Slayer grabbed Marisbury, pushing him out of the way and almost off of the roof. With his sword in hand, he sliced a missile directly in two, the projectile exploding as he did. From the fireball, the Slayer walked toward the offender. On the opposite side of the building were a group of puppets and golems, one formed into a cannon-like structure. A red glow hummed from the Slayer's eye, the now raging fire only shadowing the rest of his body.