Chapter 10 Gabriel

I was riddled with a surprising amount of guilt after hearing that our mate tried to run away. I wanted her to feel safe and comfortable here, but I also couldn't stand the idea of her leaving. The urge to keep her in our home overwhelmed everything else which is what had me on the phone with the elevator manufacturer to have a security system added in. Sure, the idea of keeping our mate prisoner wasn't exactly settling, but I felt that we had no other options.

Griffin was pissed at Ric and I, but that wasn't anything new. When it came to drawing sides, it was almost always Griff on one side and Ric and I on the other. Except this time I was pretty sure that the entire female population of the pack was also against me, as well.

"That's settled then. The elevator company said they can come and put in an access panel with a key code in a few days." I announced to Ric who nodded from where he sat on the small sofa catty-cornered from my desk.

"I need to go for a run before I storm her room." Ric growled, carelessly dropping his computer to the ground as he stood.

"I'll join you." I felt my wolf, Lewy, clawing at my head as he tried to break free.

Ric and I left the packhouse, giving Griff and our Betas a heads up as to where we were going, and shifted into our wolves. We took off towards the tree line behind the house and let our wolves take control.

Lewy threw his head back and howled towards the sky, letting out all of the anger and frustration that he was holding on to about our situation. He pounded the ground with his heavy paws, hot on Quill's heels. Ric's wolf, Quill, was the biggest and strongest out of the three of us just like how Ric was the best warrior among us.

Lewy had his nose to the ground, tracking down the scent of some animal he felt like hunting. Lewy was the best at tracking. He followed the trail towards a creek that weaved through our pack territory and we crept up silently on a deer that was lapping at the water. With one look towards Quill, we both sprang into action. Quill took down the buck while Lewy came up behind for the kill; in one smooth motion he tore the buck's jugular from his throat.

Lewy and Quill ripped apart the deer slowly, making sure to enjoy their catch and not waste any of the meat. Once they were finished, Quill and Lewy cleaned themselves off in the cool water. Quill tilted his head back and howled as the crescent moon rose overhead, peeking out from behind the clouds. I sank to the back of Lewy's mind, nearly becoming unconscious as he ran through the woods.

There was something freeing and rejuvenating about taking a back seat and allowing someone else to control your consciousness. It made me a bit jealous of Lewy who got to do this all of the time. I hadn't realized how late it had gotten until I received a frantic mindlink from Waylon,

"She's gone out the window."

"Who's done what now?" I was confused as I came back into focus.

"The Luna has gone out of the window!" Waylon shouted back at me.

"The window?" Ric growled.

"She made some sort of rope out of blankets, I don't know. She's gone. I'm tracking her through the woods now." Waylon was panicking.

"We're in the east woods." I replied.

"That's where she went, but I don't think she could've gotten far." Waylon said,

"I'm on my way." Griffin jumped into the mindlink and I could tell that he was breathless from running.

Quill and Lewy jumped into action, racing back towards the packhouse. With Waylon's wolf, Mario, coming from the opposite direction, we were sure to catch Harlow in between us somewhere. I was worried because I hadn't caught onto her scent and Lewy was pissed that he wasn't able to sense his mate planning an escape in the first place.