45 | the one where they weren't runners anymore

The next time Y/n woke up, she was in a bed.

Her eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the light. She slowly looked around, noticing she was in a small room with two beds. Her eyes fell on the other one, on the person next to her. Newt laid there, his jacket gone, leaving him in a long sleeved shirt. He was covered by a blanket and was snoring slightly, his dark veins gone from his neck.

She sat up quickly, pulling down her sleeves. Her own veins had returned to normal and she touched around her neck. The rash was gone, too. Her head didn't hurt. She could feel her limbs. She felt warm again.

Swinging her legs over the bed, Y/n quickly stood up and walked out, trying not to disturb Newt in his sleep. She looked left and right, unsure of where to go first. Where was she, anyway? She looked ahead, seeing a window right across from her. She took a step, then another and another until she was right in front of the window, her mouth hanging open.

They were in the open sea, in the ship they'd been preparing to take off with before Minho's rescue mission. She pressed her hand to the glass, watch in wonder as the waves crashed in each other.

Was she dead? Was this what the after-life looked like? Was Newt dead, too?

''Y/n?''

Her head snapped to the voice, her eyes falling on Minho, who was carrying two bottles of water in his hands. They stood there for a moment, unmoving, taking each other in. She stared in his eyes — they didn't look so tired anymore. His face wasn't as pale as she remembered. His hair was fixed and clean.

She took a step forward and he took one, too. He dropped the bottles as he hurried to wrap his arms around her, almost lifting her from the ground. She wrapped her arms around him slowly, not believing what had happened.

''Minho?'' she asked and he hummed against her neck. ''Did we make it? Are we alive?''

Minho pulled away for a moment, cupping her cheek with one of his hands. ''We're alive, darlin'.''

The sob rose up from her chest involuntarily. She let it out, as well as the tears as she fell back into Minho, relief flooding through her body. She squeezed him tight, almost scared that if she let go, he'd disappear. She hid her face in the crook of his neck, sobbing loudly at the realization. She was alive. Newt was alive and so was Minho. They were going to the Safe Heaven. They survived.

Y/n sat next to Minho and Jorge as she skinned down a stick Jorge had told her to. Her hand still stung at times from the cuts from the Bliss vial, but she tried her best to ignore it as she chuckled on a dumb joke Jorge had just told them.

Minho suddenly stooped what he was doing, bumping his knee with Y/n's. Her head snapped to him. ''Hey, careful! I almost skinned my fingers!''

''Look.'' Minho stood up and she followed his line of sight, seeing Thomas come down from the new Med-Hut.

''Shuck,'' Y/n said as she dropped her things, jogging over to join Minho and Newt, who now stood in front of Thomas.

Thomas looked at the three, his three closest people. Newt, Y/n and Minho stood in front of him, alive and well. Newt laughed at Thomas' shocked expression and pulled him for a hug, beckoning for Y/n and Minho to join. Y/n almost felt like crying again.

They pulled away, Y/n and Thomas' eyes meeting. ''Thank you for saving us, slinthead. Despite how dumb it was for you to go back.''

Thomas pursed his lips. ''It was . . . It was all Teresa.''

Y/n smiled, a burning feeling in her throat appearing.

''We have come a long way together,'' Vince spoke as he stood in front of the bone fire they'd created, looking up at all survivors. ''So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family.''