20 | the one where there was hope again

Y/n followed Newt, Minho and Thomas inside the Med-Jack hut. Wheezing was heard and Y/n and Thomas looked towards Alby, who was strapped down on a bed and panting.

''Jeff, what's going on?'' Newt asked and Y/n pushed Thomas forward and towards the unknown girl who was laying on the other bed. ''What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?''

''Hey, man, I got my job the same way you did,'' Jeff admitted.

The four continued looking down at the girl. ''Well, do you recognize her?'' asked Newt.

''No.'' Thomas shook his head.

''Really? Because she seemed to recognize you,'' Newt pointed out the obvious.

''Why would they send a girl right now?'' asked Y/n and the three boys looked at her. ''She's the last one ever. What's that even supposed to mean?''

''Yeah, we'll worry about the note later,'' Newt said as he eyed the girl again.

''I think you should worry about it now,'' Thomas said.

Newt turned back to him. ''We've got enough to deal with at the moment.''

''He's right, Newt,'' Jeff spoke. ''If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?''

''No one said that. Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just,'' Newt took a pause. ''We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody's gotta have some answers around here.''

''And if she doesn't wake up?'' Y/n asked.

Newt gave her a look. ''She's gonna wake up.''

''Okay,'' Thomas suddenly said and started walking out of the hut.

''And where are you going?'' Newt asked.

''Back in the maze.''

''Oh my God,'' Y/n put a hand on her forehead as Minho left to follow after him.

''Do you recognize her, Y/n?'' Newt asked all of the sudden, causing her to look up at him in surprise.

''Why would I recognize her?'' It took her a moment to realize what he meant. ''Just because we're both girls doesn't mean we know each other.''

''But you've had those dreams, haven't you?'' asked Newt, watching out so Jeff and Clint aren't in earshot. ''You've seen Minho and I. Maybe you've seen her as well.''

Y/n looked down at her again, crossing her arms in front of her chest. She had black hair and freckles, and from what she'd seen earlier, her eyes were blue. There was something about her, but Y/n couldn't quite place her finger on it. ''Dunno. Maybe she's familiar? Or I might be deluding myself at this point.''

Newt nodded in understanding. ''Yeah, maybe. We're not supposed to remember anything, anyway. So how does she remember Thomas?''

''Y/n.'' Both she and Newt looked towards the entrance, seeing Minho there. ''Come on. We've got work to do.''

Furrowing her eyebrows, Y/n bid Newt goodbye and walked out with Minho. ''Where are we going?''

''Thomas is a psychopath,'' Minho started as Y/n followed him to wherever they were going. ''We're going back to the Maze to find the Griever Thomas killed.''

Y/n halted in her steps, looking at Minho with wide eyes. ''What?'' Minho stopped and turned around to look at her as well. ''You just spent a whole night there and you want to go back?''

''Not me. Thomas wants to,'' Minho corrected. ''If we don't go with him, that idiot is gonna go by himself. Who knows what he might do?''

''Who else is going, then?'' Y/n crossed her arms, throwing a dirty look at the ex-Runners hanging around Gally. ''It's just us now.''

Minho nodded. ''I know. But I'm sure we can gather some more people.''

''I don't like this, Minho,'' Y/n said. ''Are you sure?''

''I'm not. But no one's ever killed a Griever before.'' Minho approached her and grabbed her hands in his, lowering his tone. ''This is the first time I've had hope for a year and a half, Y/n. Maybe . . . maybe we can finally get out of here.''

Y/n looked in his eyes - he looked tired, but he did look like he had hope. Even though she was a pessimist at heart, Y/n wanted to leave this place, too. And maybe Thomas had been the key for that all along.

''Okay.'' Y/n nodded, squeezing his hand. ''Who do you wanna gather?''

As Minho and Y/n, along with Zart, Winston and Frypan arrived at the Map Room, Thomas kicked off the wall and faced them. ''Will this be enough?''

Thomas nodded as he looked over the five people. ''Okay. Let's go.''

After grabbing weapons and Y/n getting her backpack, everyone followed Minho and Thomas into the Maze. Y/n noticed Frypan, Winston and Zart looking around in amazement and ushered them to hurry up.

Soon enough, Minho and Thomas took a right turn and stopped. As Y/n came to stand next to Minho, she saw mechanical legs and Griever insides poking out a wall.

''Holy shit,'' Y/n said as she observed the sight. It was disgusting, but she couldn't seem to look away.

''That's disgusting,'' Zart commented.

''Hey, there's something in there,'' Thomas pointed out as he got closer to the Griever.

''You mean besides a Griever pancake?'' asked Frypan, unable to see whatever Thomas was seeing.

Y/n focused her eyes and noticed a red beeping dot inside. Minho seemed to have noticed it, too, as he stepped closer to the creature.

''Be careful,'' Y/n reminded and Minho nodded without turning back.

Minho reached his arm between the walls, trying to pull out whatever was beeping in the inside. He ended up triggering the leg, causing everyone to scream and step back. Y/n quickly pulled Minho away from the creature.

''I told you to be careful!'' she reminded him.

''I thought you said it was dead,'' Frypan said.

''Was it a reflex?'' asked Zart, looking at the others.

''You hope,'' Winston said.

''Okay, come on, let's try and pull it out.'' Thomas took hold of the leg. ''Everyone get a hand on. Come on.''

All six of them grabbed the leg and pulled as Thomas told them to. Pulling as hard as they can, they managed to pull the leg out, all of them falling to the ground in the process. Minho quickly got up, looking at Y/n on the ground. ''You good, Y/n?'' he asked as he extended a hand out.

Y/n quickly grabbed it, still looking at the Griever as he pulled her up. ''Yeah. Fine.''

Minho let her hand go as he stepped closer to the Griever again. He picked up what seemed to be its heart - inside was a small cylindrical machine, letting out a silent beeping sound. Minho stuck his hand inside and pulled the device out, letting the heart drop on the ground again as goo coated his hands.

''What the hell is that?'' asked Thomas, looking at Minho in disgust.

Minho observed the device for a moment. ''Interesting.''

''Let me see,'' Y/n said as she stepped next to Minho, looking at it as well. There was a seven written in red on the small screen and under it the words W.I.C.K.E.D as well as a bunch of numbers. ''The hell?''

''Okay, whatever it is, can we take it back to the Glade?'' asked Frypan. ''Because I don't wanna meet this guy's friends.''

''He's right. It's getting late.''