27 | the one where they were saved

[THE SCORCH TRIALS]

It was cold. Y/n was bundled up in a jacket and a blue scarf wrapped around her neck. She looked up to see a woman holding her hand - her face was blurred, but she had the same hair color as Y/n. They were in-between a crowd of people, pushing their way through.

''Where are we going, mommy?'' Y/n asked in her small voice, tightening her grip on her mother's hand so she wouldn't get lost.

''We're going to safety,'' her mother said as the two finally made it to the front. Y/n looked around, seeing multiple people in uniforms and holding guns standing behind a barrier. There were parents with their children standing in front of the barrier, most of them crying.

''Mommy?'' asked Y/n as the two came to a stop. Her mother looked around before crouching down to face her.

''Listen, baby,'' her mother spoke. Y/n looked in her bloodshot eyes, taking notice of the prominent veins over her face. ''These people will take care of you, okay? So be good to them. Do as they tell you and you'll be safe.''

''What about you?'' Y/n asked.

Her mother gave her a gentle smile. ''Don't worry about me. I'll be okay. You just do as I said, okay?''

Y/n took a look at the people behind the barrier before looking back at her mother. ''They look scary. Can't you come with me?''

''I'm sorry, I can't.'' Her mother shook her head, a tear rolling down her cheek. ''But they'll be nice to you, okay? Just stay safe and survive, okay?''

''Ma'am, you need to step away from the child right now.'' The two looked up to see a soldier holding a gun pointed right at her mother's head.

Y/n's mother quickly stood up, putting her hands up and taking a step back from her daughter. Y/n looked up, her mouth open as if she wanted to say something.

For the last time, her mother gave her a smile. ''I love you, baby.''

''Y/N! Y/N, WAKE UP, WE GOTTA GO!''

Y/n jumped up as she heard Minho's familiar voice yell in her ear. She looked around, seeing they were on the ground and the door of the helicopter was open, Frypan and Teresa already on their way out. Minho grabbed her arm and helped her get out as well. ''YOU GO ON, I'LL GET THOMAS!''

Obliging, Y/n ran after the others. It was hard running through the sand and the helicopter making it fly up and right into her eyes wasn't helping her case. It was dark, but the lights of the massive building in front of them illuminated their way. A soldier grabbed her arm and started pulling her forward as he yelled something to the other soldiers. Gunfire filled the air and Y/n kept looking around, wondering what was going on and how she'd ended up there.

She entered the building. Minho and Thomas followed right behind as the massive doors closed behind them. Y/n quickly caught Minho's hand, her heart beating twice as fast as usual.

''You okay?'' Minho asked and Y/n quickly nodded, asking him the same question. ''I'm good.'' She looked away from Minho, taking in her surroundings. They were in a massive facility full of people working or walking around with guns. She gulped, taking a step closer to Minho.

Before they knew it, the Gladers were thrown in a dark room by some of the soldiers with no explanation. They closed the door after them and suddenly the lights turned on, revealing a long table full of foods Y/n hasn't seen in years.