24 | the one where they learned about the past

''Hey, you alright?''

Y/n looked down as Teresa spoke, noticing Thomas had woken up. She, along with Newt, Minho and Chuck leaned over the door of the pit where Thomas and Teresa had been locked up. Thomas' eyes looked around, still trying to adjust to his surroundings.

''What the hell were you thinking?'' asked Chuck in a non amused tone.

Thomas sat up and finally noticed the four Gladers perched on top of his cell. ''What happened?'' His voice was raspy and confused.

''Gally's taken control,'' Newt explained. ''He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you.''

Thomas slowly sat up. ''And the others agreed to that?''

''The shank's got everyone convinced it was your fault,'' explained Y/n as she laid on her front in front of the cell. Minho's hand was on her back, his thumb rubbing circles. ''To be fair, in a situation like this, it's easier to find someone to blame and you were the perfect target.''

Thomas looked at Y/n giving her a nod. ''Well, he's been right so far.''

Everyone looked at Thomas with narrowed eyes, wondering what he could mean. ''What're you talking about?'' asked Minho. His thumb stopped moving.

Thomas continued looking up at his friends, playing with his fingers. ''This place . . . it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us.''

The more Thomas spoke, the duller the ache in the back of Y/n's head intensified. She let her head hang low, closing her eyes in an attempt to banish the pain. That, however, brought her in a completely different place.

She sat in front of a monitor, looking over the Glade. There were small dots walking around - the Gladers. The Homestead was still unfinished. Her head looked to the left, seeing two boys on the chairs next to her. Younger versions of Thomas and Chuck.

''I can't do this anymore, Y/n.''

Her eyes snapped open and she looked back down at Thomas.

''Guys, I'm one of them,'' Thomas admitted, causing Y/n's eyes to widen. ''The people who put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I . . . I was on the other side of it."

Thomas took a gulp as he looked at Teresa then at Y/n. ''So were you two.''

Y/n's breath hitched as her whole body stiffened. She quickly sat up on her knees, inching her face closer to the bars to look down at Thomas.

''What?'' Teresa asked in a soft voice.

''Thomas, what are you talking about?'' Y/n asked accusatory.

''Y/n, Teresa . . .'' Thomas looked at the verge of tears as he spoke. ''We did this to them.''

''No.''

''You're lying,'' Y/n agreed with Teresa for once. She backed off from the pit, standing up on her feet. ''I don't believe you, Thomas.''

''It's true,'' Thomas confirmed again and Y/n felt a tear roll down her cheek. ''I saw it, Y/n.''

The worst part of it all was that Y/n believed him. That would explain all the weird visions she'd been getting this whole time. Her eyes met Minho's for a moment - he, Newt and Chuck were now all looking at her - as she slowly backed off from them. She opened her mouth to speak, trying to deny it, to defend herself, but she couldn't.

She was a Runner, so she did the thing she was best at. She slowly turned around and ran away, running towards the Watch Tower despite Minho's calling.

I worked with the creators. So did Thomas and Teresa. But they've never shown up in my visions before. But if I was one of them, why am I here? Why did they send me up? Why were any of us sent up at all? Why was I the only girl for so long? Why would I choose to work for such people?

Y/n looked over whatever was left of the Glade as her feet dangled over the edge of the highest floor of the Watch Tower. She'd stopped crying some time ago. The shock, however, remained. She couldn't make sense of any of it and was starting to think of injecting herself with Griever venom much like Thomas had.

The Watch Tower rattled as someone climbed up. She slowly turned to the right as the person finally reached the top, seeing Minho emerge from the hole. ''Hey.''

She didn't answer. Minho silently took a seat next to her, letting his feet dangle as well. He didn't dare say anything for a moment. How were you supposed to comfort your girlfriend that'd just found out she worked with the people who'd ruined their lives? Yeah, exactly.

He lightly kicked her sneaker with his boot, causing her to bump him back in return. Minho smiled at the gesture, slowly wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her into his embrace. Hesitantly, Y/n wrapped one arm around Minho's back and held his free one over his lap. Minho rubbed circles on the back of her hand and pressed a kiss on the crown of her hand.

''You don't have to be here,'' Y/n suddenly spoke. ''I wouldn't blame you if you wanna get as far away from me as possible.''

''You know, you can be a bit overdramatic,'' Minho said, causing her to look up at him with a frown.

''I was a horrible person, Minho. I put you in this place.''

''I doubt it was you specifically who put me here, darlin','' Minho said. ''Besides, you said we were friends before, weren't we? I'm sure if we were friends that means you were a good person. You must've had a reason for what you did.''

''We don't know that.''

''Fine, then, we don't.'' Minho sighed and pulled her back into him. ''But what I do know is that you're a good person here and now. It doesn't matter how you were before because that Y/n is no more, okay? It's just you and I love you for you.''

Y/n felt herself smile as she squeezed Minho's hand. ''Thanks, Minho.'' It felt like a boulder had been lifted off her chest. ''I'm sorry I ran off like that.''

''It's okay, no one's blaming you,'' Minho said as he ran a hand through her hair. ''We came up with a plan.''

Y/n looked up herself this time, facing Minho with furrowed eyebrows. ''A plan?''

Minho nodded, licking his lips and squeezing her hand. ''We're escaping. Today.''