23 | the one where the ending began

All Gladers followed, but only the three Runners, Teresa, Gally, Frypan and Newt entered the Med Jack Hut to see their leader sitting on the bed, shirtless and with crossed arms. Unresponsive.

''Alby?'' Newt asked as he took a seat next to his friend. ''Alby, you alright?''

Alby's eyes were glazed as he looked forward, not responding to Newt. Thomas crouched down in front of him, trying to help as well. ''Hey, Alby. Alby, we might've just found a way out of the Maze. You hear me? We could be out of here.''

Alby softly shook his head. ''We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us.''

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows, watching Alby with her arms crossed. Who's they?

''What're you talking about?'' asked Thomas.

Alby sounded like he was trying to hold back tears. ''I remember.''

All present Gladers shared a look. ''What do you remember?'' asked Thomas.

Alby slowly turned towards Thomas. ''You.'' Everyone looked towards Thomas, speechless. ''You were always their favorite, Thomas. Always.'' There was faint shouting from outside, grabbing everyone's attention but Alby's. ''Why did you do this? Why did you come here?''

Everyone left as Alby started crying. Y/n looked at everyone as they walked out, then back at Alby, who was holding his head in his hands. ''Alby?''

He didn't look up. Y/n reached out to pat his back when he suddenly spoke. ''You're not supposed to be here, either. How did you get here? How did they let you?''

''What're you talking about?'' asked Y/n. She couldn't wait for answer when the commotion outside grew louder. ''I'm sorry, Alby. I'll see you later.''

It was dark outside. She looked around and noticed her friends standing in confusion as the Gladers ran around with torches in their hands. ''Hey, Winston, what's going on?'' Y/n heard Thomas ask from the distance and she quickly jogged over.

''The doors, they aren't closing.''

Y/n's eyes widened as she looked up, confirming the statement with her own eyes. Quickly, everyone made their way towards the doors to check out the situation. A loud rumble echoed through the Glade and everyone turned around to see the rest of the walls opening as well. A chill ran down her spine.

''Holy shit,'' Y/n breathed out, not believing what was happening.

''Okay, Chuck.'' Thomas turned to the youngest Glader. ''I want you to go to the Homestead and start barricading the doors.''

''Mm-hm, okay.''

''Winston, you go with him,'' Newt ordered.

''Got it.'' The two boys left the group to do their assigned work.

''Get the others,'' Gally also started ordering people around. ''Tell them to go to the forest, go hide. Now.''

Thomas turned to look at Minho. ''Minho, grab every weapon you can find. I'll meet you at Council Hall.''

Minho nodded and looked at Y/n, Frypan and a few people behind him. ''Let's go.''

The group ran over to the storage room where most of the weapons are. Since they didn't bring a key, Minho rammed his shoulder into the door to get it open quickly, Frypan helping along. Once inside, everyone started shuffling around the different boxes and pulling out knifes, machetes and whatever else they could find.