4 | the one where he had to decide

just finished writing the maze runner and it felt to bittersweet watching the last scenes </3 i'm gonna be starting with the scorch trials soon wooo

- - -

Minho was gone by the time she woke up. Some other Gladers were just starting to wake up and the doors to the Maze were open, so the Runners were probably gone. Sitting up in her hammock, she yawned and touched her hair, feeling how messy it was.

Wonder if these idiots have a hairbrush laying around here. She tried to comb her hair with her fingers, turning out to be semi-successful.

It's been three days since she'd arrived at the Glade. Today was her last day at trying out the different jobs before the 'council' decided which job she'd take. Possibly her last chance at convincing Minho to suggest her to be a Runner.

At breakfast, she found herself sitting with Newt and Alby again, who'd informed her she would be working with the Builders in the morning and with Frypan in the kitchen after lunch. She was fine with working with the Builders until she approached them and remembered who their Keeper was.

''We've got the Greenie today,'' one of the boys spoke almost too excitedly, causing her to roll her eyes.

Gally looked up at the call; he was obviously still mad about the punch and she couldn't wait for lunch to arrive so she can go work with Frypan.

''You know how to hold a hammer, Greenie?'' Gally asked after shooing off everyone to work.

''You hold it by the handle.''

Gally's eyes closed and he took a deep breath before handing her the hammer. ''You'll be helping me widen the fence for the animals today. Come with me.''

The pigs squealed as Gally and the Greenie arrived in front of the fence and the stench made its way into her nose. Bet if I was running the maze right now it wouldn't smell like pig klunk. Winston must be thriving working here.

To her relief and Gally's obvious annoyance, she wasn't half-bad with the hammer. The two got the work done by lunch time and even Gally had nothing to complain about. After eating lunch with Alby and Newt again, she stayed back to help Frypan with the dishes - not the most enjoyable task, but again, better than slicing animals all day every day.

''Okay, Greenie, grab that pan over there,'' Frypan said, pointing towards one of the cabinets. ''I'll show you how to cook Frypan's infamous stew!''

Cooking with Frypan wasn't half bad - he was a nice company and didn't scold her too bad if she made a mistake. She was more of a support to him, really, but she was sure they could make a great team.

Still. Frypan wasn't a Runner.

The boys pooled in as soon as Frypan rang the bell for dinner and he and the girl stood side by side, passing out the meals. Frypan was chatting with the people who passed by, while she stayed quiet for the most part.

''Looking nice in that apron, Greenie.''

Minho arrived in front of her, his vest gone - he must've already went to map out whatever he'd ran today. With a roll of her eyes, she passed him a plate and answered. ''I'd look even better with a running vest.''

Minho nodded, though he seemed rather skeptical. ''Hm, we'll see. You nervous? Your fate is being decided after dinner.''

''Not really.'' Minho had to step in for her during the meeting, right? He was her friend and he knew how bad she wanted to be a Runner.

''Come join us when Frypan frees you, Greenie.'' Minho walked away so he wouldn't hold the line and she watched his retreating back, hoping he would actually say something later.