31 | the one where they lost winston

''Hey! Get out of here!''

Y/n's head snapped up from Minho's shoulder at Thomas' loud call. Her eyes slowly opened and she looked around, squinting her eyes as the light hit them. She looked around, seeing Thomas had woken everyone up. Both Minho and Y/n let their heads fall down. Despite having slept, Y/n didn't feel refreshed at all.

''Are they gone?'' asked Newt.

Thomas, who was standing up, looked around. ''Yeah. I think we're safe for now. Okay, we should get moving. Let's pack it up.''

Y/n felt Minho's hand on her head. ''Come on, Y/n, get up.'' She sighed but obliged, turning to look at Winston. He was wincing as he tried to get up; the Cranks had tore into his skin pretty bad and the bandages she'd wrapped around him yesterday weren't any good. Frypan offered him a hand and he got up.

''Winston,'' Y/n called and the boy turned to her. ''Should I change the bandages?''

He shook his head. ''It's fine, don't bother.'' It certainly wasn't fine as it could cause an infection, but she didn't push the matter further. She had a bad feeling about this.

The group walked up from their hideout and on ground level. Y/n's mouth hung open in amazement as she looked around the massive remains of buildings surrounding them. There were abandoned cars and busses on the road and it looked overall very post-apocalyptic.

''What the hell happened to this place?'' asked Frypan as they were on the way towards who-knew-where.

''I don't know. It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time,'' Newt said.

''I hope the whole world's not like this,'' Frypan said, but all of them knew it was false hope.

''Woah, woah, hang on, stop,'' Thomas suddenly said and everyone turned around to face him. ''Do you hear that?''

A whirring filled the air and Thomas' eyes widened. ''Everybody hide! Get in here! In here, in here!'' They hid under a piece of debris and looked at the sky to see an aircraft along with two helicopters flying over them.

Minho looked back at his friends before his eyes fell on Y/n. ''They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?'' Y/n bit the inside of her cheek and looked down.

Thomas coughed as they were climbing up a dune out of debris leading into a building. ''Everyone good?'' he asked. Y/n looked back at Winston, seeing him struggle with his wounds. She waited a bit for him to catch up, letting him go in front of her so she could keep an eye on him.

Eventually they made it to the top of a dune, looking at the horizon. Thomas pointed forward. ''Those mountains, that's gotta be it. That's where we're going.''

''That's a long way off,'' Newt commented.

''Then we better get moving.''

Winston suddenly collapsed, falling down in the sand. Everyone quickly rushed to his side, calling his name but receiving no response. He was gasping for breath as Teresa turned him on his back, all of them wondering what to do.

They made a stretcher of whatever they could find and the boys took turns of who to pull him. Y/n walked next to Minho as he and Frypan pulled Winston, having taken Minho's jacket and backpack. She'd decided to take off her own jacket and zip-up seeing as it was unbearably warm and she already felt filthy.

''Hang in there, Winston,'' Minho called out to his friend, but got no response.

As they were leaving the city behind a sandstorm hit them. The four boys had to all carry Winston together while Y/n and Teresa walked ahead, holding their scarves over their heads. It didn't take them long enough to find another few pieces of debris they can take shelter under.

Everyone looked at Winston as he was wheezing for breath, but none of them knew what to do. Y/n bit her nail, having an idea of what was happening to him, but too afraid to say it. And even if she did say it, they couldn't do anything to help him.

Y/n leaned on Minho's thigh, wracking her brain about something to do to help Winston, but nothing was coming to mind. She was no medic, she wasn't even a Med-Jack in the Glade; she knew nothing about this.

''Drink up,'' Minho said as he handed her a jug of water. She thanked him and took a small sip before passing it on to Newt who'd sat himself down next to her. Y/n watched as Thomas and Teresa stood on top of the dune, looking ahead of them. She wondered what they could be talking about.

''How's it looking?'' Newt called out and the two turned back to the group.

''It's a little further.''

Newt looked back at the rest of his friends. ''That's not very convincing.''

''He's never convincing, but he brought us here,'' Y/n pointed out. ''I still can't believe he just came in the Maze and solved it within a business week. Lucky shank.''

''Kind of unfair, considering we tried to figure it out for so long,'' Minho chuckled. ''The escape didn't feel as sweet.''

''Hey, at least we're out,'' Newt said, putting his hands on his hips. ''We would've been Griever food by now if it weren't for Thomas.''

''Weren't you the one who was complaining that we followed after him with no plan yesterday?'' Y/n reminded him.

Before Newt could retort, a gunshot rang through the air and everyone looked at Winston, quickly jumping up from their seats.

''Woah!'' Frypan quickly jumped up, grabbing the pistol Winston had pointed at his head.

''Guys, get down here!'' Newt called Thomas and Teresa.

''Winston, what're you doing, man?'' Frypan asked. ''Give me that!''

''What's going on?'' Newt asked..

''What happened?'' Teresa asked as she and Thomas arrived at the scene.

''I don't know. He just woke up and grabbed the gun and then he tried to . . .''

Winston, who was now on all fours and barely standing, extended his arm out towards Frypan. ''Give it back, please.''

Thomas crouched down next to him. ''Winston, are you okay?''

Winston threw up some gooey substance on the ground and Thomas quickly backed off. Winston coughed a few times and laid on his back in the sun, his chest going up and down rapidly. He looked down at his stomach as he lifted his shirt up. ''It's growing . . . Inside me.''

Y/n looked away as she noticed his skin was looking the same as the girl they saw in the metal cage. She put her hand over her mouth as she realized her suspicious were true.

Winston shook his head. ''I'm not gonna make it.'' He continued breathing heavily, putting his arm out. ''Please. Please. Don't let me turn into one of those things.'' His arm fell back on the ground, pleading his friends for mercy with his eyes.

Newt took the gun from Frypan and crouched down next to Winston despite Thomas trying to stop him. He took Winston's hand and put it over his chest with the gun. ''Thank you. Now, get outta here,'' Winston said.

''Goodbye, Winston.'' Newt got up and walked away, picking up his backpack and leaving. Aris followed without saying anything. Minho crouched down next to Winston, who only told him to go. Minho picked up the bottle of water that was next to him and left. Teresa didn't say anything either. Frypan stood up from next to Winston and left.

Y/n look at him from above, making eye contact with him. ''I'm sorry, Winston,'' she said. He simply nodded and she picked up her backpack as well. She caught up to Minho, walking by his side as she looked at the ground. So much had happened in the past few days, so much had been lost that she couldn't bring herself to cry anymore.

They weren't too far off when a gunshot echoed through the air.