8 | the one where she's not the greenie anymore

When Minho awoke the next morning, he wasn't surprised to find Y/n sleeping on the hammock next to his. Her face looked relaxed and her hands were tucked under her head. She was almost curled into herself, with her zip-up thrown over her as a blanket.

He'd woken up a bit earlier than he was supposed to, so he decided to lay for a bit. His eyes stayed on her face, looking from her eyebrows to her eyelashes touching her cheeks, to her nose and to her lips. She was a pretty girl, he didn't deny that. He felt at ease looking at her and couldn't help the small smile that stretched on his lips.

Checking his watch, he sighed as he realized it was time to get up. His feet dangled over his hammock as he put on his shoes, then stood up. He noticed a few other Runners getting up as well, but turned back to look at Y/n, who was still curled into herself.

Gently, he put a hand on her shoulder and shook her. ''Y/n, get up. We gotta go eat breakfast.'' She murmured something in her sleep, but Minho didn't understand. ''Do you wanna run the Maze on an empty stomach? C'mon, wake up.''

Minho thought babying someone in the Maze would ultimately bring them to their demise. The Maze was a daily game of survival that bred strong people. If you want to see the light of the next day, you had to be able to face all the hardships their prison had to offer.

But, just for today, Minho allowed himself to not turn over her hammock or scream her ears off to wake up.

''Fine.'' Y/n sighed as she sat up in her hammock, though her eyes remained closed. She put her shoes on blindly and decided to finally open her eyes as she stood up, coming face to face with Minho. ''I'm up.''

''Your breath stinks.''

''Good morning to you, too.''

Minho had been down yesterday - and rightly so - but today, Y/n noticed, he seemed back to normal. Maybe he was putting a façade, or maybe he'd really just gotten over Theo's death that quick. She still felt uneasy about it, but she felt better knowing Minho was around. He was her closest friend at the Glade and she could almost say she felt safe with him, even though their living situation wasn't the safest.

''Man, I'm starving.'' Y/n put a hand over her stomach as the two walked towards the kitchen.

''When are you not starving?''

''I love food. It's the only good thing in this shucking place.''

''The next best thing after me, you mean?''

''. . . I know what I said, Minho.''

He chuckled, then looked down at his watch again. They had about half an hour before the doors opened. ''Uh, by the way, you'll be running with Ben today.''

Y/n came to a sudden halt, looking at Minho. ''Weren't we supposed to go with Ray and Josh to this new place they found?''

''I'm going with them alone. We still need to check it out, but Ben really doesn't have a running partner at the moment and I don't want to send him in alone yet,'' Minho explained, scratching his neck. He didn't want to send her in alone, considering she'd become his new unofficial running partner, but he didn't want risking Ben doing something stupid like Theo had.

Y/n liked spending her time running with Minho, but she could suck it up for a day. ''Yeah. Okay, that's fine. You're the Keeper, you know best.''

''Thanks.''

It was just Ben and Y/n standing at their usual door today. Her eyes trailed over to the wall with the names, noticing Theo's has already been scratched off. She gulped as she looked ahead in the Maze, watching as the doors slowly opened.