39 | the one where she saw her again

Thomas slapped an old map on the table, pointing at a circled area on it. ''There, that's it. It's a few hundredth miles. Based on the railways, everything that Aris told us, that's gotta be where they're headed. That's where they're taking Minho and Y/n.''

Newt leaned on the other side of the table, still in disbelief. He could still remember the panic he felt when he suddenly realized Y/n wasn't there, they way he almost fell over the train cart as he rushed to the ladder she'd been hanging on, only to find her gone. Not only did they not rescue Minho, but they lost Y/n in the process, and Newt wasn't sure if he can survive loosing another of his closest friends.

''We take everyone who can fight,'' Thomas continued. ''Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week.''

''A week?'' Vince asked, unconvinced. ''It took us six months to get here. We got over a hundredth kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever after what we just pulled. You wanna wander off to some random point on the map. You don't even know what's there.''

''I do,'' Jorge said as he walked into the room. Everyone's eyes shifted to him. ''It's been a few years, but I've been there. The Last City. That's what WICKED called it. It was their whole base of operations. If that city is still standing, that's the last place you wanna go, hermano. That's the lion's den.''

''It's nothing we haven't done before,'' Thomas said.

''Yeah, with months of planning and reliable information, the element of surprise,'' Vince counted on. ''None of which we have now.''

''Just hear me out—''

''When we went out half-cocked, I lost everything. Remember that?'' Vince reminded. ''Look, I know it's Minho. All right? And I'm sorry we lost Y/n. But you can't ask me to put those kids on the line for two people. I won't do it.''

The static of the radio grew louder, a male voice coming through it, announcing they were searching through the grid. Everyone moved quickly, turning off the lights before WICKED can spot them.

Newt stood at the entrance of the hut they were in, looking up at the Bergs flying not too far from here, searching with their lights. His chest tightened, remembering Y/n disappearing, wondering what they were doing to her and Minho right now. Had they seen each other? Were they both okay?

He looked at Vince and Thomas in the distance, seeing Vince walk away. Vince didn't want to go after them, but Newt knew Thomas better. He was never going to leave his friends behind, even if it meant Vince leaving him behind.

Minho and Y/n were two of his best friends, two of the people who know him through and through and people he would trust with his life. He looked down at his arm, seeing his veins darkening. Even if it was the last thing he would do, Newt was going to save them.

He was going with Thomas. Just like he always was.

She cried this time.

Cried because she was stuck in the dark cargo compartment, knowing Minho wasn't far, but out of her reach once again. Crying because they were both here, none of them would be going to the Safe Heaven now. It was over, for the both of them. The slight relief she felt earlier was all gone, now knowing Minho wasn't nowhere near being safe at the moment.

She had to think of something. This couldn't end like this, she had to get them out of this. Minho's been through enough with WICKED, he deserved to be free, he deserved to go to the Safe Heaven, to see the sea even without her. She had to think up a plan, like Thomas would. What would Thomas do now? Think, think, think, think, think—

The door opened again and she stood up by herself this time. She decided to give it a try, to try and charge past the soldiers, to get to Minho, but she was caught as quick as she'd taken a step forward, getting dragged out again.