5 | the one where she touched the metal plate

''Rise and shine, Greenie.''

She groaned at the voice, rolling to her other side in her hammock. ''Five more minutes.''

''It's your first trial day and you're already running late?'' Minho clicked his tongue a few times and shook his head. ''That'll be some minus points in your application.''

A sigh escaped her lips and her eyebrows furrowed, but her eyes remained closed. ''Shuck, I forgot about that.''

Ten seconds passed and she finally got the willpower to sit up in her hammock. Stretching her arms above her head, a yawn escaped her lips. Her eyes finally opening, taking a few seconds to adjust to the sun. She looked to her right, seeing Minho standing there, his shoes already on and his hands on his hips.

''Good morning to you, too.'' She bent down and picked up her shoes, sluggishly putting them on her feet and getting up. ''Alright, what's the plan?''

After washing their faces, Minho led her towards the Deadheads, where he would usually go after returning to the Glade. The two made it to a small wooden hut in the middle of the forest. Inside was a round table with a white sheet covering it, along with multiple crates with equipment.

She observed the cloth as Minho dug through the supplies. What could be hiding beneath it? ''Alright, put this on, Greenie.'' It was a small backpack, similar to the one Minho wore on his runs. She quickly threw it on and clipped it closed in front of her chest. ''Okay, you have a water bottle in the bag, you'll fill it up at the kitchen, and Frypan is gonna give us our lunches when we get there. There's also a notepad and a pen inside, you'll need it to map the ways you run, but for today I'm only testing your stamina so you won't need it.''

Nodding, she turned to look back at the cloth. ''What's under there?''

Minho looked over the cloth as well, then quickly pulled it over. A maze made out of sticks was revealed, though it didn't look finished. ''We're making a model of the maze to understand it easier.''

''Holy shuck.''

''It's not complete, though. It gives us hope that there might be an exit in the unexplored parts.''

She looked over the model in amazement. The maze looked complicated and she was surprised the Runners managed to make their way back to the Glade every day. A short feeling of panic took over her, wondering if she would be able to make her back on time, too. What if she lost Minho? How would she find him again? Would she be Griever food?

''You can't back out now, Greenie.'' Minho noticed her anxiety. ''You get used to it with time. Besides, I'll be with you the whole time, so you'll be fine as long as you keep up with me. C'mon, let's go eat now, I'm starving.''

She gulped and nodded, helping Minho put the sheet over the mini-Maze again. After eating and getting their lunch and water from Frypan, all Runners made their way to the four entrances to the maze. She was with Minho, Ben and Theo, the four of them waiting in line as the massive doors slowly opened.

''You ready, Shebean?''

She looked at Minho in surprise. ''Shebean?''

Minho shrugged. ''You still don't know your name, surprisingly enough, so I'm just gonna have to come up with nicknames.''

A snort escaped her lips and she looked ahead. The maze didn't look welcoming at all, but she still couldn't wait until she stepped her foot in. There were vines lining up the walls, but they didn't reach the top. There was also the occasional flower growing out where the wall and the ground met, which were pretty in contrast to the depressing interior.

She had to succeed in this one week.

''Off we go. Don't fall back, Shebean!''

She hadn't even realized it was time to leave, so Minho's sudden jog caught her by surprise. Catching up to him, she fell into step with the Keeper, trying her best to breathe normally. Ben and Theo took to the left and she and Minho to the right, and so her first day at the Maze began.

Gray walls upon gray walls lined her vision. If she had to be honest, she had to admit that if Minho were to leave her where she was at the moment, she wouldn't even attempt to go back to the Glade. She'd accept her fate as Griever food. Minho kept taking too many turns and she'd gotten lost.

She had to get used to this.

Minho took a quick glance at her - she was running at a steady pace alongside him, her breathing was normal for the most part. Her face serious as she stared ahead. For a newbie runner, he must admit she wasn't half-bad. But he wasn't going to tell her that, not at her first day, of course. There was still time she could prove him wrong.

The sun warmed her up a bit too much, but as long as she thought about anything but the heat, she was fine. Minho finally announced they could take a lunch break, thanks to his Keeper's watch, and the two came to a stop in the middle of the Maze.

''Let's sit here.'' Minho plopped down and took his backpack off, taking out the sandwich and water bottle out of it. She quickly mirrored him and bit hungrily into her sandwich.

The only sound around them was the munching. She looked around as she chewed on the semi-good-tasting sandwich, noticing a metal plate stuck on the wall. Curiously standing up, sandwich held tightly, she walked over to the plate and read the words.

World in Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department.

''Don't mind that, it's the name of the Creators, supposedly.'' Minho said as he watched her from the ground. ''We still call them the Creators, though.''

She didn't answer. Those words sounded familiar. Too familiar. With her free hand, she touched the plate, her fingers running over the letters.

WICKED is good.

An ache started forming in her head and her free hand flew to the side.

WICKED is good. Remember that.

''Shebean?'' Minho's voice was laced with concern as he watched her clutch her head, her hand still gripping tightly on her sandwich. He put his food down and quickly made his way over to her. ''Greenie?''

Minho's voice was so distant, she almost didn't hear him.

Remember, Y/n. Remember, WICKED is good.

Her eyes shot open and she gasped, taking quick and short breaths. Minho's worried face was the first thing she saw, his hands on her shoulders. One of her own hands flew to her shoulder as well, touching Minho's hand urgently, as if to make sure he's real.

''Greenie, are you alright?'' Minho asked again, staring at her as if the answer would appear on her forehead.

''I'm . . .'' WICKED is good. Remember, Y/n. Remember. ''I heard some voice in my head. I . . . it was calling me. My name, it said my name. I think it's Y/n.''

Minho let out an audible sigh of relief, his hands falling from her shoulders and to his hips. ''Thank shuck. I thought you were about to get a stroke.''

She - Y/n - looked down at her half-eaten sandwich that she was still gripping on. She didn't say anything.

''Well, Y/n.'' Minho had a big smile on his face. ''Welcome to the Glade - or, well, the Maze, for now.''

Y/n chuckled. ''Yeah, thanks.'' She took another bite of her sandwich, then spoke with her mouth still full. ''Yeah, really great to be eating as Y/n now.''

Minho laughed as well, then returned back to his seat against the wall, taking his own sandwich again. Y/n soon joined him.

''Not gonna lie, I never would've guessed I'm called Y/n,'' she said before taking a sip of her bottle.

Minho shrugged. ''I dunno, it suits you.''

''Hm, does it, now?''

''Yeah.''

Minho took the last bite of his sandwich and rested his head against the wall. It felt oddly nice to be the first person to know Y/n's name. It felt like it showed Y/n trusted him, like a seal of their friendship.

Minho had just acquired a core memory.