Forty-four

Daryl's pov

Beth and I were running away from the prison as far as we could. It was overrun. All I could think of was Emris. I left her. I promised her that I wouldn't do that anymore. Walkers were on us. We had to run.

Beth and I lied down in a field, tired of running and mentally exhausted. We lied there for a while before we went on moving again.

It was night. We were sitting by a small campfire. "We should do something." Beth eventually said. I kept quiet. "We should do something." She repeated. "We aren't the only survivors. We can't be. Rick, Michonne, they could be out there. Maggie and Glenn could've made it out of A block. They could've. Maybe Emris made it out."

I kept quiet and stared at her. There was no way anyone of them was alive.

"You're a tracker. You can track." Beth stood up. "Come on! The sun will be up soon. If we head out now, we can... Fine. If you won't track, I will." She got her knife and walked away. I wanted to find them, but then we'd only find bodies or walking corpses. I eventually went after her, I wasn't gonna lose anyone else.

---

There was no sign of them. Only one of the small shoes. "Could be Luke's or Molly's. Whoever they are, it means they're alive."

"No, it means they were alive four or five hours ago." I replied.

"They're alive." Beth stated and she went in the direction the shoe prints pointed to.

We were on a path with a bunch of berries. I noticed a couple smashed ones. "They picked up the pace right here. Got out in a hurry. Things went bad." I concluded.

"Wouldn't kill you to have a little faith." Beth said.

"Faith. Faith ain't done shit for us. Sure as hell didn't do nothin' for your father." I said and turned around to see a 'Im done with this ass' look on Beth's face.

She started to gather berries. "They'll be hungry when we find them." She said. I handed her a doo-rag to put the berries in. It used to be T-Dog's.

We continued our search for the others. We took down a couple walkers in the process. Most likely one of the kids was being eaten. Beth started to cry. I never knew how to comfort people, except for Emris, it was easier with her because I knew her really well.

Night fell and Beth and I sat by a campfire. She threw in papers from a notebook. We barely talked. We were both mourning our lost loved ones.

---

Beth and I made camp in the woods. We got a little closer over time. I had caught a snake. It wasn't gonna be tasty but food was food.

"I need a drink." Beth said out of nowhere. I tossed her a water bottle. "No, I mean a real drink... As in alcohol. I've never had one. 'Cause of my dad. But he's not exactly around anymore, so... I thought we could go find some."

I didn't wanna get drunk. And this snake actually tasted pretty good.

"Okay. Well, enjoy your snake jerky." Beth stood up and walked away.

I finished my snake and went after her. I couldn't let her go alone.

She led a couple walkers away and I led her back to camp. She kept babbling about drinks. I didn't want to go and she knew she wasn't gonna survive alone.

"What the hell?" She said as she bumped into our line of scraps as an alarm. "You brought me back. I'm not staying in this suck-ass camp!" She yelled and flipped me off.