Twenty-six

The next day Daryl had moved far away from camp. He took our tent and left my stuff on a pile, with a note. "What the fuck?" I said in myself as I saw what happened. I grabbed the note and read it 'Gotta go. Its not you, its me. -D' "What the-? Asshole." I mumbled. 

Dale came towards me. "He took the tent." I said to him in disbelief while pointing to the pile Daryl had left behind. I put the note in my pocket quickly.

"Why would he do that?" He asked.

"How in the world am I suppossed to know that? We had a spare tent." 

"Yeah. I think maybe asking Daryl himself will give you the best answer."

"Most likely, yeah. I'll go ask him." I started to walk away. "What about your sleeping place for the night?" Dale asked wich caused me to stop and turn around, "I'll figure something out." I continued walking. Why would he take our tent, he knows we have a spare one. God, he's so annoying. 

When I finally reached Daryls camp I didn't see him, he must be out hunting or something. I looked around for a bit. He had two squirrels and had made a little campfire spot, and there it was, our tent, well his tent now. 

He still had all of his stuff on the right side of the tent, my side was completely clear. Not even dirt touched the right side. It was like he still thought my bed was there. His bed was messy, like it always was. The holes of him poking his arrows in the window netting were still there. It was truly our tent. I rememberd our conversatoins there, how I was crying after Sohia and how he tried to comfort me. He was terrible at it, or maybe it was me not wanting his comforting.

 "I knew you'd show up sooner or later." I heard form behind me. I startled and turned around. "Yeah, well, you took my sleeping spot so..."

"Wanna have lunch?" He held up the two squirrels. I rolled my eyes, "Sure" He put down his crossbow and grabbed some sticks. We got the campfire working after a while. I made a skewer out of sticks. 

"Are you going to tell me why you left? And why so ridiculously far away?" I asked him looking down at the fire. "I needed to get away from everyone, I guess. Ye read the note, right?" Daryl replied. "Yeah, I did." I replied and stood up and sat next to him. "So, you want to talk about the 'I fuckin' love ye, Emris' and after thing?"

"What? Oh, yeah, uhm. I dunno, I guess I moved far away 'cause I like the woods and there were like three trees in camp so..." He trailed off but remembered my actual question quickly. "But I do love ye, I think. I don't know how to know that... I've never had anyone that I said that to. Not even Merle."

"That would be kind of weird though." I grinned. Daryl looked at me with pure confusion on his face. "I mean, you saying 'I fucking love you, Emris' to Merle. That doesn't really-"

"-Shut up." He cut me off and chuckled and threw a stick to me. I laughed at him. 

"Oh, shit. Uhm- help?" He stood up and tried to get the now burning squirrel out of the fire without burning himself. He looked adorable not knowing how to. I stood up anf helped him. 

When we got it out we threw it on to the stone ruin. "Well I guess we'll have to share" I said and looked down to the remaining squirrel, "Or... we'll not eat at all." It had also caught fire. "Aren't you like a campfire expert?"

"You distracted me."

"Wha-? I'm offended." I put my hand on my chest and slightly leaned back. Daryl sighed and shook his head with a smile and looked down at the burning squirrel. I smiled at him. It was hard to get a smile out of the unperetetable, Daryl Dixon.