Twenty-Nine

"It'll be tight, fourteen people in one house." Rick said when Hershel made an offer to let us stay inside for the winter. 

"Don't worry about that." He replied. "With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up-"

"With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might aswell be ringing a damn dinner bell." Maggie finished for him.

"She's right, we should've moved you in a while ago."

All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out toward the road." Rick orderd. Everyone started to move. "We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property." I grabbed a crate out of the car and started to help aswell while Rick told T-Dog something.

When I made it to the house I asked where to put it. When I got my directions I followed them. I put down the crate and turned around to go and get another when, boom, Daryl was right behind me the whole time. I yelped, "Jezus, why do you have to be so incredebly creepy sometimes?"

He smirked at me, "I dunno. Need help?" He pointed at the floor. I turned around and I saw that I kicked the crate over. "No, I got it." I said as he was bending down to put the stuff back in. He grabbed one of my battle axes. "This yours?"

"Yeah" I said as I took it out of his hands and grabbed the other one to put them back together. "Two?" 

"No, a hundred." I rolled my eyes, "Yes, two. Are you blind?" I had put everything back in the crate, wich was mine, and moved back outside to grab another.

"Okay, sorry." I heard Daryl say softly behind me. He caught up with me before I could make it to my other stuff. "Didn't I say 'I got it'?" I asked him annoyed.

"You did, I ignored it." He said and walked faster. "Idiot" I mumbled. When I reached Daryl again I saw he had two crates piled up and was walking back to the house. "Need any help?" I asked him. Those crates were full. 

"Nah, I got it."

---

I was unpacking my stuff so I could claim some space. I was in a corner alone. I didn't mind. I wanted to be alone. I didn't know how to feel after Dale. 

Daryl tried to cheer me up. It didn't really work but when I was alone I felt worse. I felt like a part of me was ripped out and thrown away. Away to a place I could never reach. 

And it hurt.

I didn't even realise a tear left my eye again. I wiped it away and went on with unpacking my sleeping bag.

Daryl was discussing the plan with Rick. They were going to take Randall out again. Carol was making him some food and drinks for his journey. If he was going to have one.

Daryl walked in. He looked around briefly and was now coming towards me. "You alright?" He asked as he crouched next to me. I nodded with my head facing down. Daryl then decided that sitting was more comfortable. "'M goin' out in a bit."

"Okay. Are you gonna move in here too or are you gonna stay in 'Camp Distance?' "

"Dunno. It's gettin' cold though."

"Thats why I was wondering."

"Dunno yet. I might."

"Alright"

"Gotta go. Told Rick I was takin' a piss, should've said 'shit'." Daryl said as he was stifly getting up. I nodded again and went back to my book wich I wasn't really reading anymore. I had one of Dale's books in my crate. I didn't touch it. I couldn't.