Twenty-two

After I fed Daryl one more bite, he decided he could eat himself. We talked about our lifes before the outbreak while he was doing so. He was a drifter with his brother. Not a very interesting story. 

I told him about my best friend John Johnson and my life with the army, how I loved it so much and why I had quit. "I just couldn't see myself without my uniform. I had a long talk about it with John and came to the conclusion that I should stop. I was just to 'obsessed' my job. I know, it sounds weird. It's just... I absolutely loved the army, you know, but it wasn't good for me. It sounds so confusing. I just don't know how to like explain it differently."

"It's confusin' but I think I understand." He respoded, "Merle, he was in the army for a while, obligatory military service, something like that."

"Must've sucked."

"Yeah. My dad wasn't-" He stopped talking after he realised he started to talk about his father. It must be a sensetive subject for him. I looked at him. Wondering what he wanted to say. "Do you want talk about it, I mean- you don't have to, but.." I said and before I could finish my shitty sentence Daryl started talking, "He was an alcoholic, after my mom died, abused me and my brother. Merle, he always used to step up for me, taking all the beating. He was happy he could get away from him, my dad. But when he did he couldn't protect me no more so I got the whole bunch." He pointed to his back as he turned on his side so I could see. Wow.

"This.. This is horrible. I'm so sorry. You don't deserve this." I said as I gently caress his back tracing his scars. Daryl quickly truned back to his previous position, grabbing the blanket while doing so. "It's fine. It's nothin'" He said.

"No, it's not 'nothin''. This is terrible."

"'M fine. It happened, ain't nothin' gonna change that." Daryl looked to the roof not wanting to look at me.

"That's true, but it doesn't mean you deserved this." I said, "Let's just talk about something else, okay?" Daryl nodded but it fell quiet.

After a couple minutes filled with akward silence I did something incredebly stupid. I lied down and rested my head on Daryl's chest. I put my arm around his waist and relaxed. "What are you doing?" He asked uncomfortably.

I looked up at him and smiled, "Cuddling you for 'mental support', but mostly getting comfy so I can have a good night rest." His face turned red as I said that. I put my head back down and closed my eyes. He put his arm around me and after a minute or two I felt Daryl relax.

*

I woke up the next morning in the bed where Daryl and I had fallen asleep on. Only Daryl wasn't there. I looked around and didn't see him. What I did see was a pair of crutches next to the door. I got out of bed and grabbed them. This would make walking so much easier. I walked to the camp outside.

Glenn was handing out peaches and came to me, "I need to tell you something. It's a really big secret but I have to tell someone. And I trust you." 

"Okay, tell me." I grabbed a peach.

"Okay, so.. uhm.. There are walkers in the barn and Lori's pregnant."

"What? Wh- For real?"

"Yeah..." Glenn looked down to his basket of peaches, "Don't tell anyone. No one." 

"Okay. My mouth is sewn shut and there are no scissors." I replied. He looked really desperate for me not to tell anyone. Maybe I should check the barn, just to see if it's secured well enough. Glenn turned around and walked away. 

After looking around I saw Daryl in our tent. He was poking his arrows through the tent window. Great, now there's going to be even more flies, great. Andrea walked out, I gave her a subtle angry look. She walked past me without saying anything. "Hey" I said as I enterd mine and Daryl's tent and sat down on his bed. His bandage was off. "Hey, I see ye found my gift." He said. 

"You found them?"

"Glenn brought them back, said I should give 'em to you."

"Well, I'll thank him later. Life is a lot easier now." I let out sigh of relief, "With the crutches."

"Thank me, it was my idea." Daryl said.

"Thank you, Daryl, I appreciate your gift." I laughed, "You still wanted to ask me something though."

"Oh that. Yeah.. Never mind. It ain't important." He went back to poking his arrows through the window.

"Well, I'm still curious. C'me on, ask me. I won't look at you weird, I promise." 

Daryl sat up and turned to me and hesitated before he started to talk, "I- I don't know.. I.. I've been wondering... Have you.. Do you- I.." He couldn't find his words. "Don't think, ask." I told him, trying to help.

"I- I... I think I-" He stopped. "fuck it" He mumbled in himself. He slowly moved towards me and his lips touched mine.