Twenty-four

I helped Carl with his 'homework'. When I saw Daryl enter the stable in the corner of my eye I knew what he was doing. "Okay, three more exercises then you can stop. I've gotta go. You stay and use your brain, okay?" I told Carl. "M'kay. Are you gonna find Daryl?" He smirked. "Oi, homework." I chuckled and tapped his book and stood up.

When I enterd the stable I saw Daryl prepping a sadle. He threw it on a holder and sighed in pain while putting his hand on his side wound. "You can't go." I told him. He limped to grab something "I'm fine."

"Hershel said explicity that you need heal. Hell, you were the one to tell me that you needed rest when you got shot."

"Yeah, I don't care." He walked towards one of the horses.

"Well, I do. You're in no shape to go out. Let alone ride a horse. Rick's going out later today to follow the trail."

"Yeah, well, I ain't gonna sit 'round and do nothin'"

"No you're gonna go on a suicide mission." I paused, "Look, we don't even know if we're ever gonna find her, Daryl."

He stepped back from the horse. "What?"

"Can't lose you aswell." I said softly. Daryl dropped the chain he was holding and walked towards the holder with the saddle. He threw it of and grunted in pain. I dropped my crutches and stepped infront of him. "You okay?" I put my hands on his shoulders and tried to look him in his eyes. 

"Just- Just leave me be!" He shook my hands off his shoulders and walked away, "Stupid bitch." I ran to him and tackled him to the ground. I sat on top of him and had my fist ready to punch him. "Don't. Call. Me. A. Bitch." I threatend.

"Whatever" He tried to get me of off him and grunted in pain as I pressed my hand on his wound. "I was worried for you. I cried for you when you got shot. I was very, very close to beating the absolute fucking shit out of Andrea for doing so. I never judged you for who you were at the quarry. And you always treat me like complete fucking shit. So don't call me a bitch, defenitly not a stupid one." I was so mad at him. I relaxed as I saw the terrified look in his eyes. I got of off him and offerd him my hand he accepted and I pulled him up. "You're damn terrifying when you're pissed."

"I know. It's one of my lesser qualities." I bent down to grab my crutches which I had dropped. I held them both in one hand, "Guess I'm not gonna use these anymore."

"Why?"

"I tackled you with my broken ankle and it didn't even hurt, also, look, I walk without trouble." I said walking a couple steps, "I'm sorry. Shouldn't have pressed on your wound." I swung my arm under Daryls and put it on his shoulder so he could use me for support. "It's alright."

Whe we got back to camp I led Daryl to our tent. I helped him down on his bed and turned around to go back to Carl when he grabbed my arm. "Hey. I'm sorry 'bout gettin' all mad. It's just..."

"You thought you could find her." I finished, "Look, Rick and Andrea are going out, you don't need to do this, you know. They've got it covered until you're ready to go out again." Daryl sat up and pulled me on my arm closer towards him and I sat down beside him, "I need to know something."

"Huh?" 

Daryl looked down. I put my thumb and index finger on his chin and lifted it up. "What do you need to know?" I asked. He moved closer to me until his lips pressed on mine. God, why did you have make Daryl Dixon such a good kisser? 

Later that day everyone was sitting at the porch. I was helping Carl with his math problems again. It seemed like Glenn had fixed thing with Maggie and that made me happy. "Do you know what's going on?" T- Dog said walking towards us with Andrea. "Where is everyone?" She asked.

"You haven't seen Rick?" Glenn asked.

"He went of with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple hours ago." She answerd.

"Yeah, you were. What the hell?" Daryl came into the scene with Carol. 

"Rick told us he was going out." She said.

"Damn it. Isn't anybody taking this seriously? We got us a damn trail. Ah. Here we go." Daryl said as Shane came walking towards us with the bag of guns. "What's all this?" I asked as I walked down the porch stairs. "You with me?" Shane asked Daryl handing him a gun. "Time to grow up. You already got yours?" He pointed towards Andrea. "Where is Dale?" She asked him. "He's on his way."

"I thought we weren't allowed to carry."  I said as Shane handed me a gun, I took it. 

"Yeah, well, we can and we have to." He said. "Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't." He then hande Glenn a gun, "How about you, man? You gonna protect yours?" He hesitated but grabbed the gun.

"Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight." Maggie said. 

"We have to stay, Shane." Carl said appearing next to me. "We ain't going anywhere, okay?" Shane said to him. "Now, look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Okay? He... Well, he's gonna have to. Now we need to find Spohia. Am I right?" He handed a pistol to Carl. "Now you take this. You take it, Carl, and keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes. You know how. Go on, take the gun and do it."

"Rick said no guns." I stepped infront of Carl pushing him behind me. "This ain't your call."

"Oh, shit" T-Dog said looking at the treeline. Rick and Hershel came walking out the woods. They had two walkers on snare poles and were headed to the barn. Shane and everyone ran towards them. When we made it to them Shane shot three bullets in the chest of the female walker. He was yelling about it being dead, not sick. Five more bullets. "Shane, enough!" I yelled.

"Yeah, you're right. That is enough." He shot the walker in the head. "Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us! ENOUGH! Rick, it ain't like it was before! Now if y'all wanna live, if you want to survive, you gotta fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now!" Shane rant to the door of the barn and opened it. Rick yelled to Hershel. I tightend my grip on my shotgun. When the doors opened I held up my gun and shot at the walkers that came out.

When the last walker dropped to the ground I looked around and saw the horror on the Greene family's face. When we heard a soft growling coming from the barn, all of us froze. A little girl came walking out. Blue shirt with a rainbow, short dark blonde hair, Sophia.