Fourteen

I broke down with tears in my eyes. I wasn't the only one. I wasn't ready to die. Not yet. Even out there, trying to live a life was better than being forced to die.

Daryl, Rick and Glenn were at the doors trying to find a way to open them. Daryl threw his blottle at it, "Open the damn door!" He yelled. Shane had found an axe and ran towards the only exit and started to hit it. Daryl somehow got one two and helped him.

I walked over there. "Shane, can I?" I asked, I needed to let off some steam. "Sure" He replied and handed over his axe. I hit the door as hard as I could. I grunted and cried while putting my whole body into slamming this door. I was pissed at Jenner. I wanted to smash this axe into his head. Apearantly Daryl wanted to do that too, he ran back and went in for attack. I tried to keep up with him but my legs couldn't carry me very well anymore. So I walked my way over to him. Rick stopped him just in time. T-Dog grabbed his weapon out of his hands when they let him go. Daryl paced around pissed. I didn't blame him.

Jenner kept trying to convince us that this was the right thing and that it was the best way to die. Rick must've told Jenner something last night because he told us that Rick said that it was just a matter of time before everyone you loved was dead. He wasn't wrong but everyone started to yell at him. After everyone was done yelling at Rick when Jenner started talking, "This is what takes us down. This is our extinction event."

"This isn't right." Carol started with tears in her eyes, "You can't just keep us here." 

"One tiny moment, it... A milisecond. No pain."

"My daughted doesn't deserve to die like this."

Jenner kept talking trying to convince Carol that it was good. It didn't work ofcourse. I heard a gun being loaded. "Shane, no!" Rick tried to stop him. "Out of the way, Rick! Stay out of my way!" He walked over to Jenner and put the shotgun at his forehead, "Open that door or I'm gonna blow your head off. Do you hear me?" Rick walked over to him and mumbled something in his ear. Shae yelled and shot a couple computers. I ducked down with my hands protectively over my head when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I slowly looked up and it was Daryl covering me protectively. "I told ye I couldn't lose ye." He said softly so only I could hear it. I smiled so hard at that comment. 

The gunshots stopped and we slowely stood up. Shane was on the ground and Rick had the shotgun in his hands. He was standing over Shane ready to knock him out. He passed the gun to T-Dog and looked around. "I think you're lying." He started.

"What?" Jenner asked innocently.

"You're lying, about no hope. If that were true, you'd have bolted with the rest or taken the easy way out. You didn't. You chose the hard path. Why?"

"It doesn't matter."

"It does matter. It always matters. You satyed when others ran. Why?"

"Not because I wanted to. I made a promise. To her." Jenner pointed to the big screen where we had seen TS-19. "My wife." He continued. "Test Subject 19 was your wife?" I asked. 

"She begged me to keep going as long as I could. How could I say no?" 

In the back ground I heard Daryl smashing the door again. He must've sneaked away while I was walking towards the group.

"It should've been me on that table." Jenner continued, "It wouldn't have matterd to anybody. She was a loss to the world. Hell, she ran this place. I just worked here. In our field, she was an Einstein. Me? I'm just.. Edwin Jenner. She could have done something about this. Not me."

"Your wife didn't have a choice." Rick started, "You do. That's.. That's all we want. A choice, a chance."

"Let us keep trying as long as we can." Lori backed Rick up.

"I told you topside is locked down. I can't open those." 

We had convinced him. I walked over to my bag I had grabbed with me when we followd Jenner to the big room. The doors opened. "Come on!" Daryl yelled. We all ran and more people started yelling 'come on's. I ran as hard as I could. We only had about five minutes. Jacqui decided to stay and told us to just leave. We did. We ran up the stairs.

The doors were closed and the window industructible. "Carol, you still got the grenade?" I asked her. She walked over to him and gave it to him. We all went down on the floor. The window was gone after the explosion. 

We ran towards the cars and shot a couple walkers during. I went into the blue truck with Daryl and duck down on the seat. The CDC could go down any moment now. 

All I saw was an orange cloud and heard a loud explosion. Daryl coverd me again but this time with both of his arms. We sat up straight and drove far away from here.