Chapter 55

My therapist made me think about something a few days ago. She asked a question that awoke feelings I think I had repressed a few years ago. "Why do you put so much time into training, Miles?" she had asked me and I just stared blankly at her. "Don't get me wrong, it's really great that you train, it's just important to know why you do it. Some people do it because they have some athletic dream," did I have an athletic dream? Well yes, I dream of becoming a soccer player as I played much with my dad, but the dream had died with him. "others do it as some kind of meditation," well that's certainly not why I do it, I can't seem to escape my thoughts at any time. "So why do you do it?" she asked and I couldn't answer. 

When I escaped from that house, from her, I had promised myself two things. One never goes back there. Two, never be as vulnerable as I was that year. So I started training as soon as in with Alexis. I woke up early in the morning, going out for a run before I had to have breakfast with his family. When he went out with his family, getting ice cream and enjoying themself I would stay at home, take the opportunity to use get creative and use whatever weight I could find to train my weak muscles. And then I took every opportunity to sneak into the school gym, although it was for older students only and I wasn't allowed there. Getting caught there could earn me a suspension, but I didn't care. All I knew was that I would never let the past repeat itself, I would be strong enough to prevent it from happening. 

Miles