Chapter 36

"Just a little more, Omorfia," Gia tells me as she tightens my black corset from behind. I hold my breath and pull my stomach in as much as I can to help her close the last inch of the corset. "And we're done," I feel her hand push my shoulder lightly as I let out my breath again. I turn to Gia Sophia that is holding my suit jacked to help me get in it and I thank her as I accept her help. "You look absolutely stunning, dear," I turn to the big mirror on the closet and let my looks sink in, a dark green suit that highlights the hazel color of my eyes over a black corset with cleavage showing a little of my mid-sized boobs, black heels and light makeup with a green eyeshadow matching the suit red lipstick. The view overwhelms me a little, I have almost forgotten how nice it feels to dress up like this the last time I did it being... No, not today. Not any day. I will not let the memories of our dates and nights out together haunt my brain. 

My eyes travel up to look at Gia Sophias through the mirror when I feel her hand stroking my curls with a smile on her face and I can't help but return the smile. Not only her smiles but positive energy is really contagious. "It will surely be many handsome men there, which makes me glad that Alexis let you prepper all the food yesterday so that you can participate in the mingling party today," she winks at me playfully, making my smile go wider as I shake my head slightly shake away her words. "Common, Omorfia, look in the mirror, do you know how many jaws you will be dropping today with your looks?" 

"Gia, you know that's not why I dressed up, Alexis wanted us to look presentable for the customers that are coming in for the food tasting of the grand opening mingle party," I turn to her and tilt my head and look in her playful eyes, "It doesn't mean you can't have a little fun," her eyebrows wiggle and I let out a chuckle, "I'll think about it but I don't promise anything," I tell her because I know she won't give up. "That's my girl," she utters and slams her hip into mine, making me tremble because of the unexpected move. "You're wild Gia," I laugh. "What? I come up to a certain age and everybody expects me to be boring? Well newsflash, I'll live a wild life until my last breath." 

"That sounds like a great idea, Gia," 

"Now quit the talking and hurry downstairs, I'm sure Alexis is waiting for you," Alexis, shit, I haven't seen him since our little incident yesterday. Or rather, I've avoided him perfectly trough out the day, too embarrassed by my foolish actions of yesterday and the way he rejected me. But I guess I can't keep avoiding him, especially not now that we have to drive to the restaurant. I give Gia Sophia one last smile with a nod before I head out of the room and down the stairs. The first thing that comes inside as I come to the end of the stairs is Alexis leaning against the wall with one foot planted on the wall and a phone in his hand. Gia Sophia approaches behind me and clears her throat and I am very sure that she did that on purpose to get Alexis's attention, which works because his gaze leaves the phone in his hand and looks up at me.

"Doesn't she look just perfect?" Gia Sophia asks Alexis. He takes his time scanning me up and down before answering. "Damn, Kid, people might think you are the owner of the restaurant if you're going like that, you outshined me," I don't know if I should be concerned or relieved that he talked with a completely normal tone as if nothing had happened. I looked at him for a while, scanning his grey tie-less suit with the navy blue shirt under it. I gather my thoughts and formulate an answer to give him. "You don't look bad yourself, although I would probably lose the white airforces and replace them with black Oxfords," 

"I always like to keep my feet comfortable, even when I dress nice, they're too precious to but in so much pain and we have a long night ahead of us," he winks at me. "Fear enough," I shrug. "So, shall we leave already?" he takes a look at his watch before continuing. "I've been waiting for you for like forever,"

"Every word that leaves our stupid month is an indication that I haven't thought you anything about treating a woman right," Gia shakes her head in disappointment and Alexis just rolls his eyes. "Ladies first," he tells me and gestures at the door, ignoring his grandmother. "I'll let it slide for now, but you and I need to have a chat when you get back because otherwise, you're going to die single," Gia tells Alexis as I walk through the door. "Good thing that we will be staying out late," he tells her before waving her goodbye and closing the door behind us. We get into the car in silence and drive in silence until I decide to break it. I hadn't noticed how important Alexis has become to me until now that I'm feeling like I might have ruined our friendship by a stupid irrational, so I just can't handle feeling awkward any longer, not with one of the closest people I have in my life. "I'm sorry," he looks at me from the corner of his eyes, trying to focus on the road ahead of us at the same time. "What?" 

"About last night, I just..." 

"Ah, Kid, It's okay. I've already brushed it off," he interrupts me. "I don't know where it came from and I..." 

"There's no need to explain yourself, I knew you didn't mean it, that's why I pulled away, no offense if you took it personally it has nothing to do with you, I'm sure you're a great kisser. Not that I have thought about kissing you," I giggle, "You're still my best friend's wife and I knew from the moment I saw you two looking at each other in my restaurant that you were already in deep shit of love. You didn't really want to kiss me you just got swept into the moment," 

"But how do you know that I didn't really want to kiss you?" 

"Because I know you still love him," the smile on my face vanishes at his words. "How..."

"You know that the only thing separating our rooms is a thin wall, right? I can hear you crying every now and then, and I assume it has to do with him," I feel the air becoming thicker in my throat at the thought of my sleepless emotional nights that I had thought were private, but no, apparently not. "Ow," 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to invade your privacy but it's kinda hard with that thin wall. I've wanted to come inside, talk to you, make sure you're alright, I've even stood outside your room, hesitating if I should go in. But I always end up heading back to my room, not sure if you'd like my company," my eyes begin tearing up at his thoughtfulness. "I would actually not mind your company, even though you're the worst at comforting," 

"Be thankful for what you get you spoiled brat," 

"I am actually very thankful to have a friend like you,"

"I can relate, I'm thankful for having me to, Kid," 

"you're so full of yourself," I frown, "Why couldn't I be? I'm amazing in every way. Handsome, smart, successful, and rich. What could one possibly want more?" he stops the car at his last sentence and I look out the window to find that we've arrived. We step out of the car and Alexis hands his keys to my coworker Juan and asks him to park it for him before we head inside. The whole staff team of twenty-five people seems to have arrived before us, all dressed in fancy dresses and suits. "Okay team, gather around," Alexis tells everyone and gestures to them to form a circle around him. "We've all done a great job this whole week, the doors are opening up in five minutes and the guests will be coming in. Everything is ready and in its places, even the food dishes. The only thing expected from you is to enjoy your evening and be polite to the customers. Understood?" 

"Understood," everyone answers in rhythm. "Great, now continue with whatever you were doing," I lean into his ear when he finishes talking and whispers in it, "Did you just praise your workers? What have you done to Alexis and who are you," he turns his head so his mouth is against my ear, "I may be hard on you but I'm not unfear, and you've truly made a good job this week. But that's still thanks to me because I came up with the brilliant idea of making you go through a whole month o training," 

"Now that sounds more like my best friend," best friend, that was what we had become, best friends, that felt very right. "Sir, it's five p.m, should we open the doors?" Alexis nods at Juan. The doors open up and a whole bunch of people streams into the restaurant.