Chapter 45

I've been standing in my closet for about half an hour, trying to decide on what to wear. I want to look good, but I also don't want him to think that I've tried to look good for him, not after the year he left all by myself. Screw it, I should probably just wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I should probably put on a cardigan too because when I came home an hour ago the weather was starting to develop a night chill.

"Omorifa," a knock on my bedroom door follows the voice of Gia Sophia calling for me. "Come in, Gia," she does as I tell her. "Alexis called me, he's coming home a little bit later because of some work he has to get done, so that leaves the two of us. " I can't hide the smile that appears on my face because of my theory that Alexis isn't working at the moment but he's busy with Piper. "I came upstairs to tell you that dinner is ready," Gia continues, interrupting my thought about Alexis and Piper. "I'm sorry Gia, but I'm actually heading out right now. Sorry, I didn't tell you, it just came up." Gia gives me a suspicious glare, frowning. "You're meeting him aren't you,"

My body temperature rises at the possibility of her guessing who I'm meeting up with. I guess it bothers me because I feel like she would judge me for it, like Alexis, and I don't want the two people I care about judging me. "Who? Alexis? No, Gia I..." I try to lead her off, hoping she hadn't figured anything out.

"Don't take me for a fool, child, you know who I meant," her eyes are fixated on me but I can't hold eye contact with her as I confess. "Yes, I'm meeting him," I moment of silence follows before Gia fills it again. "Does Alexis know?"

"No, I just took off earlier from work and he was too busy to ask me for a reason. And please, Gia I'd like to keep it that way. I'm just going to meet him to hear him out and sort my feelings and I don't want to fight Alexis about something I feel like I have to do for my own good," I hope it is for my own good, anyway. "I'm not telling him and nor am I stopping you if you feel like this is what you have to do,"

"But you don't approve of it either," I meet her gaze again with a stressed smile on my face, wanting to see her facial expression. She looks thoughtful like she has many things to say but she's holding all of it back. "What does it matter? You should always do what you feel is best for you, Nova, and don't ponder too much about what others think. I've noticed that's a trait of yours,"

"I respect your opinion a lot, Gia. And I get a feeling that you have something you want to say," her face turns warm again, showing a hint of a smile and it makes me realize that I was tense the whole time when my body finally relaxes. "I just have a bad feeling about this, Omorfia, but I don't want to tell you what to do and not do,"

"I've already been through the worst things with Miles. I mean what could top him leaving me for a whole year without any warning or explanation? The worst thing that could happen tonight is him not giving me a reason enough to forgive him, which I'm ready for," the last part is a total lie. I was so not ready for him not having a good explanation because without a good reason for leaving me, he leaves me with the conclusion about him not caring about me enough. And maybe not caring at all. Because how could one possibly leave their partner, the person they're supposed to love the most in this world, for a whole year without even asking about them? How could one hurt their partner when they're supposed to be the one to protect them from any harm? How could someone do the thing Miles did to me without a great reason? "Then I'll trust your guts," Gia approaches me and strokes my hair gently with a reassuring touch.

"Just promise to call me or Alexis if anything goes wrong," the fact that she's so sure that this will go wrong is starting to make me anxious. Was this really a bad idea? No, it isn't. I have to do this because it has two outcomes and I have to go through one of them in order to move on. Either everything goes well and Miles and I get back together and fix our relationship. Or everything goes to hell and I can finally be sure that moving on is the right thing to do. "I will, Gia, I promise," I plant a kiss on her cheek before I pick my little black bag up and head to the door. "I really have to go now, I just got a message, my uber is here,"