Chapter 14

"You're hoodie sure didn't help much after that hour we spent under the rain."

"Common, Sunshine, I'm sick too, stop being so grumpy," he says after sneezing two times in a row. "Yeah? And whose fault is it that we're both sitting at home, sick? Wasn't it you that insisted that we stayed in the park although I told you it was a better idea to go home?" It took double the effort to say those three sentences because of my clogged nose. 

"Live, love, and laugh, Sunshine," sometimes he really makes me want to become a murderer. While I'm sitting here with a pile of napkins, feeling as though my nose is about to fall off because of how many times I have wiped it, he sits beside me and is playing his sarcasm on my nerves.

 I better get up and do something else before I really kill him. "I'm making us some chicken soup," I announce as I get up. "Wait you're not cooking anything," Miles hurries up on his feet and stands in front of me. "Why not? At least I'm trying to be of some use." 

"Because I want to cook." 

"You want to cook?" 

"Yes, I want to cook."

"You've been sitting on the couch since we got home yesterday, you wouldn't even lift your ass to go to the toilet because you felt so sick, and now you wanna cook out of a sudden?" Miles was even sicker than me because he drove all the way to his place in his wet clothes while I had his warm hoodie on, so he's been lazy since yesterday, and It kind of feels odd that he wanted to cook now that I offered to do it. 

"You don't look too well. Why don't you take e nap while I prepare some food?" he leads me to the couch and makes me sit down again. It's really cute that he cares for me even when he is in a worse state, but he really needs to rest. "Have you looked in the mirror? You look like you've not slept for weeks, you're eyes are really red and swollen." I get up again and head for the kitchen. "Nova please don't make me say it out loud," I turn to him "Say what out loud?" 

"I really tried to make you give up so suit yourself and don't kill me but you really can't cook. You can bake but not cook, Nova. The few times I have eaten your food I couldn't help but wonder if you tried to kill me with it," I felt offended, but not angry. He was right and I knew it. Cooking is just not one of my strong sides because I've always had my parents that cooked for me, and when I moved out I mostly ordered fast food. But I didn't want to give up to him. "I admit that I'm not the best chef there is, but everybody can make a chicken soup so I'm making one," I turn my back on him and enter the kitchen and start preparing the things I need with Miles behind me as my tail. 

"Then we'll have to cook together," he demands and takes the pot out of my hands.

"I can't cook with you in the kitchen," I declare. Miles gets closer to me with one hand holding the pot and the other resting on the cabinet behind me. "Why, Sunshine? Do I distract you?" this time I'm not just out of breath, but I'm out of words and action. I don't know what to say or do because there is no clue in my brain as to what we are right now after yesterday's kiss. We haven't talked about it. Instead, we just came to Miles's house, changed into warm clothes, and went to sleep as if nothing ever happened. 

As for today, we have just acted as we always do, as friends. And what that makes us I really don't know. Are we a couple? Friends? Does he think that we are friends with benefits maybe? Oh God, I really liked that kiss but right now I wish I never kissed him because things just got so complicated. "I take that as a yes," he adds with a kiss on my cheek and then moves. My body is burning hot and I can't tell if I'm having a fever or if it is because of that damn kiss.

"Can't you just go get some rest if I promise to follow a recipe on the internet?" I beg him because I could really use some privacy right now after his actions. "Nope, my kitchen, my rules." It's hard not to like the determined side of him although I'm slightly annoyed that he wouldn't let me do it myself. 

Remembering last night's kiss I touch my mouth and try to remember the taste of his lips. I then look at him, absorbing every inch of his tall figure that's moving around in the kitchen. His grey pants inspire my fantasies of the two of us, in the same bedroom, me in his arms, kissing, and...

 "Nova?" a waving hand interrupts my daydreaming, causing me to drop the spoon I was holding in my hand. Jesus, what was I even thinking? I have to take control of myself and stop this nonsense, I'm not a hormonal teenager so I have to stop acting like one. "I've been talking to you for five minutes but you're just frozen in your places." 

"Sorry I zoned out," I feel the sweat dripping from my back. "Well If you want to eat that soup any time soon then I suggest you start helping me." 

"Of course," my shaking legs are finally able to move again. After putting much effort into trying to control my thoughts and staying focused I manage to follow Miles's instructions and do as he tells me. He's standing beside the stove and doing the main things while I just hand him the things he needs and take the things that he doesn't need. In between the exchange of things between us our hands touch and I can't help but feel butterflies in my stomach every time. 

"The salt please, Nova," I open the cabinet where he stores his spices and reaches for the salt. "Here you go," I pass it to him "Noo Nova, that's sugar," without bothering to give me the sugar back and asking me to bring the real salt he does it himself, towering over me to reach the cabinet above my head. I didn't know my heart could breakdance until this moment. 

"Come here and stir the soup while I get the rest of the ingredients," he tells me as he moves away, making way for the cold to reach me after having the heat of his body for w few seconds warm me up. I do as he says and take his place while watching him walk around again. I even got to catch a glimpse of his abs when he had to reach one of the higher cabinets, causing his hoodie to lift a bit, and our eyes met as he searches for something in there. 

"Nova the stove!" Miles shouts and runs over to me, throwing himself at me, making us both fall to the floor and slide to the other end of the kitchen. The pot drops with a splash and all of the soup is now on the kitchen floor. 

"What were you thinking? You almost burned yourself," his breathing is heavy, not in a breathless way but in a way that indicates that he's frustrated. "I didn't mean to, I just got distracted-" 

"Distracted with what?" he hisses. "With you," the words leave my mouth before I can stop them. I raise my hand to my mouth to close it, preventing any other impropriety words to leave.  

The first thing that forms on Miles's face is a confused facial expression but then a satisfied smile replaces it before he kisses me. "This is the second time in two days that we manage to end up in this position" he replicates, breaking our kiss. His fingers are playing with a strand of my hair, placing it behind my ear. "I think we should order some pizza instead," leaving a kiss on my forehead he stands up again. "And don't forget to wipe your nose because I think I got some snot in my mouth when I kissed you," just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.