* ˚ ✦ 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝟏𝟕 : 𝐩𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐢𝐧 𝐣𝐮𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐝 (𝐬𝐣)

* ˚ ✦ day n°17 : visiting your grandparents before the holidays

på loftet sidder nissen med sin julegrød
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

warning none
age 6

!ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS IS MY OWN STORY!

⸺ ⧗ ⸺

"Come on Y/n, we've gotta go." Scarlett called you from downstairs. You dropped your toys and grabbed your backpack before running down the stairs despite Scarlett's rules and protests.

Not having the time to scold you for breaking the rules, she didn't say anything and helped you tie your shoes to save some time. You did know how to tie them, you just took too long.

After putting on your coat and hers, wrapping a scarf around your neck and a hat firmly places on your head and covering you ears, you were all ready to go and face the cold weather. Scarlett held your hand as you walked in the busy streets of New York City, as night fell over the city.

"Are you excited?" She asked as you skipped along as the streets were a bit less busy.

"Yeah! We're gonna see everyone and grandma. And grandpa is visiting." You explained everything you had planned with your grandparents and Scarlett listened intently. You got there a few minutes later and Scarlett lifted you up, so you could ring the bell. Scarlett lets you do it every time and you loved it. A minute later, your grandma appeared, opening the door wearing nothing but a cardigan to cover herself which was not the smartest idea.

"Hi, hi, hi. Don't stay in the cold darlings." Your grandma ushered you in and the warm air hit your face. That felt nice.

After getting rid of your shoes and all the winter gear, you made your way through the place. You could hear laughter coming from the living room, indicating who was already here.

You walked into the room hiding behind your mom. Scarlett said hi to everyone, each receiving a hug from her, whilst you just hid behind her, hugging her waist as you pushed your face into her back, eyes closed as you didn't want to see anyone just yet.  Scarlett sometimes held your hands and stroked the back of one of them, a subtle reminder that she was there with you.

"Come on Y/n, don't go all shy now. Say hello to everyone. You were so excited to see them!" Scarlett pushed you in front of her, and you immediately turned around to bury your face in her sweater. You peered out of your safe zone a second to give everyone a wave and a small, mumbles 'hi' which was enough to satisfy your mother.

She kissed your forehead, whispering "Good girl."

She quickly got caught up in the conversation while you sat at her feet with your toys. You were a bit sad not to have a full attention any more, but you were comforted by Scarlett unconsciously playing with your hair.

You dumped the contents of your bag on the floor and found your markers and papers. So naturally, you began to draw.

Moments later, you felt someone sit beside you. Your grandpa's familiar smell hit your nose, and only then you decided to lift your head up to give him a smile.

"Whatcha doing?" Your grandpa nudged to your shoulder playfully. You showed him the drawing you were working on, a christmas tree in the corner of the page, people around. You drew the family gathering. You placed your pencil case in between the two of you, so you could draw together.

You gave the drawing to your grandma, knowing it would end up on the fridge before the end of the night.

"Now, come with me, I want you to show something." He dragged you away from everyone and into another room. You didn't know what he had planned until he pointed to the windowsill. There you noticed something that you were certain wasn't there before. It was a small door, with a ladder and a postbox.

"What is this?" You ask, visibly confused as you turned to face him.

"This is a Nissedør." He pointed out, and as you were still confused he continued,. "The nisse is like a gnome that lives in houses, and secretly acts as their guardian. If treated well, they protect the family from evil and misfortune, and may also aid the chores and work. However, they are known to be short-tempered, especially when offended. Once insulted, they will usually play tricks and steal stuff. During Christmas, they visit. That's why there's a door." He explained.

"Like elf on a shelf?"

"Yeah, kind of. And sometimes, the nisse leaves small presents to children." He moved to the side, revealing a small pile of presents. There were 17 small packages.

"Are these for me?" He nodded, and you gasped, excited to get to open presents before the 25th.

"MAMAAAAA." You yelled for her, jumping up and down in excitement. Scarlett sprinted into the room, thinking something was wrong. She visibly relaxed when she spotted the big smile on your face. "Look, look, look!!"

"Gifts?" You nodded. Scarlett eyes her father, you shrugged. "Y/n what do you say?"

"Thank you. Can I open them now?" You asked. You were ready to beg in case she said no. There was no way you would wait any longer to open them. The presents were right there, and that would be some kind of torture.

"Sure, but come back to the living room okay. We're gonna have dinner soon." She quickly agreed and the three of you went back to sit with the rest of the family, each of you carrying a few gifts in hand. You sat on Scarlett's lap, and she helped you unwrap the presents one by one. You got a pack of 12 new pencils, a new colouring book, sweets, chocolate and other books and stuff.

Once all the excitement died down, you cuddled with your mama on the couch, feeling already a bit tired after today thought was just a bit past seven, and you still had to have some dinner your grandma prepared.

"Jeg elsker dig Y/n." Scarlett told you softly. She didn't speak Danish, this was one of the few things she picked up.

"What does it mean?"

"That means I love you."

"Well... Jeg elsker dig too." Scarlett laughed as your pronunciation as not it... at all. But it's the thought that counts.

AUTHOR'S NOTEwelp this is not what i wanted to write lolalso, before anyone comes for me

AUTHOR'S NOTE
welp this is not what i wanted to write lol
also, before anyone comes for me... my danish teacher uses the nisse as an advent calendar for her son. i know they don't always leave gifts and stuff, but the inspiration for that was my danish teacher
I'll try to rewrite this at some point