Chapter 19

Luke was getting impatient, his final class of the day ended about 4 minutes ago but Clive was nowhere to be seen. 'He's probably busy.' But that was no excuse, not to Luke at least.

He walked up to Emily who was leaning against the wall chatting away with Nasir, "Have you seen Clive?" He asked.

"Luke! Hi! Um..." she looked over at Nasir who raised his brow at her.

She pulled Luke to the side, "yeah we're back together."

Luke didn't know how Emily expected him to react, "cool?" He couldn't care less.

Emily rolled her eyes, "Wow, quite the response and no I haven't seen Clive he's probably making out with Carol for all I care."

Luke gave her an incredulous look, "what? You didn't hear? I'm not much of a gossiper but..." Emily looked around to make sure no one was eavesdropping, not that she cared anyway, "Carol asked Clive whether he liked anyone and he may have confessed to her."

"Her dream came true!" She laughed.

"Her dream?" Luke asked intrigued and of course dying on the inside.

"Yeahhh she's had the biggest crush on Clive since forever!"

'That can't be true, I have the biggest crush on Clive.' Luke didn't believe it, he refused to believe it.

But Clive had confessed? How was Emily so sure? "How do you know about this?" He asked her.

"Carol told me yesterday. It probably happened when we were busy burning marshmallows with lighters." She said as she laughed fondly at the memory.

Was that why they were so happy the day before when Luke went to the lab? Was he seeing things? Did Clive not like him back? Did he spend all this time misinterpreting Clive's kindness? 'That's embarrassing.'

Somewhere deep inside he had always dreaded that this might be the reality. It was too good to be true, his first attempt at love was bound to be an unreciprocated infatuation.

Maybe Clive smiled at everyone, maybe he held hands with everyone, maybe he blushed at everyone and maybe he kissed everyone. 'Maybe Clive's just a people whore.' As funny as that sounded to Luke he wanted to curl up into a ball and cry.

"Are you okay?" Emily asked him with concern.

"Yes." He nodded curtly in reply.

"You don't have to stay today," Luke added as he walked away without another word.

'Maybe they're in the lab,' he walked all the way in looking behind every desktop but to no avail.

Luke felt like a fool. He didn't know why he was feeling so entitled, he was clingy and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

"Luke?"

Luke whipped his head towards the voice and there stood Clive with a massive box in his hand, so massive Luke could only see Clive peeping from the side.

He walked over and grabbed the box from the boy, "I can carry it myself you know." Clive chuckled.

"Just be thankful." Luke said as he adjusted the box in his hold.

"Alright, my hero." Clive cooed as he held his hands together against his chest.

Luke shook his head but couldn't miss the way his heart fluttered.

Clive escorted Luke into the council room once they made it, directing him to place the box on the table.

"Hello?" Stephen said with disdain as he looked at Luke.

"Hi?"

"You're not part of the council."

"Yeah no."

"He's leaving Stephen calm down," Clive sent the boy a glare and dragged Luke out of the room.

Luke pressed his back against the wall once they made it into the corridor again.

"I'll wait right here." he said as he placed his hands into his pockets, Clive's hand still wrapped around his arm.

"What about Emily?"

"With Nasir."

"They got back together!?"

"Carol didn't tell you?" Luke spat bitterly and instantly regretted it.

"No? Carol has been pretty busy, Stephen just asked her to escort the assistants for tomorrow's drive to the meeting."

Luke was hoping Clive would look hurt or guilty for not telling Luke about his little thing going on with Carol but the boy hardly budged which may or may not have further aggravated Luke.

Clive could sense that there was something off with Luke, was he perhaps feeling betrayed now that Emily was back with her ex, 'does he actually have feelings for her?'

Clive looked over at Luke and just like that his mood shifted to being rather randy, 'fuck he's hot.' Clive didn't know if it was the angry pout on Luke's face or if it was the way he leaned against the wall with his hands in his blazer pockets but whatever it was it made Luke look like a heartthrob and Clive was having a fanboy moment.

Luke looked at Clive and raised his eyebrows in an attempt to ask what the matter was.

"You're so hot," Clive said in all seriousness, almost whining.

"Tell me that in front of your girlfriend." Luke challenged, which only brought an amused smile to Clive's face.

And as if on cue Carol appeared alongside the previously mentioned assistants, she silently gestured for Clive to follow her back into the room so their meeting could commence.

Clive let go of Luke's arm as he made his way toward the doors, He spared Luke a final glance before he entered the room feeling fully conflicted.

•••

Clive hadn't paid attention to a single word uttered during the meeting, how could he when Luke had said something that ridiculous?

Clive? A girlfriend? When he would occasionally pop a boner at the mere sight of Luke's eyes?

If anything Clive still wondered how Luke hadn't caught onto his ridiculously mental crush on him, Clive was sure that whatever it was that he felt towards Luke was more than just a crush and as concerning as it seemed Clive couldn't help swoon and simp over the other boy.

The meeting soon came to an end and there were not more than 6 people in the room and as the minutes passed he was left with Carol and Stephen alone.

"Thank you and well done." Stephen said robotically as if he didn't mean a single word.

Clive shot him a brilliant smile, "oh don't thank me! I couldn't have done it without Carol!" He exclaimed as he pulled her into his side.

"She was there on time and simply did an amazing job! A keeper,"

"Hm okay," Stephen said unenthusiastically as he eyed the pair with disinterest.

"You're dismissed."

Clive looked over at Carol and smiled at the fully flushed girl who was softly pressed to his side.

"I'm serious Carol, you've really got a knack for these things, you've got my vote for next year! Guaranteed!" He chirped as he walked her towards the door.

Carol couldn't handle the compliments that were being practically shoved down her throat. This was the Clive she loved, the Clive that was caring and selfless, not to mention the way he was looking at her. It was sending her heart into overdrive and she let her emotions get the best of her.

They had just exited the room when Carol blurted out words that she would later regret.