Chapter 11

"Smash"

"Pass"

"Pass"

"Pass"

"Ooooo Mr.Victor from chemistry, SMASH."

"Okay that's enough Luke."

It was a gloomy Thursday afternoon and the students were making their way out the school gates in a rush. Clive and Luke were perched on the grass watching everyone leave, Clive waiting for his practice to start.

"What? You told me I have to try broadening my 'people I like' spectrum."

"Well yes, not through smash or pass."

Clive wasn't the only one who was annoyed, he had the audacity to tell Luke to make friends who weren't Clive and maybe even put himself out there...dating wise.
Luke was perfectly content with having just Clive, he didn't want to befriend anyone else.

He spent almost all of his after school hours waiting for Clive to be done with track practice and maybe that's what made Clive feel that Luke needed more friends, friends who didn't make him wait for them to be done with practice. It still didn't settle well with Luke, he couldn't believe Clive would suggest something like that.

"Don't be angry," Clive whined looking at Luke's pouty face, "I only want you to get to know people."

Well it was partially true, Clive really wished Luke could get along with others...and maybe if Luke started dating someone Clive could finally stop getting his hopes high. His minor crush was turning into a full on obsession and he was scared of what he might do, it had become increasingly hard to keep his hands to himself, Luke had grown so much more physical ever since the little forehead kiss and Clive tried his best at resisting the urge to just kiss him already.

"Is it so wrong to want to be with you and only you?" Luke asked as he practically fell onto Clive's lap, staring up at the boy who went rigid at the unexpected contact.

"Wh- what? No it's just..." Clive tried thinking of something but his mind couldn't focus what with Luke's head in his lap and everything.

"I could set you up with someone." Clive blurted out.

He didn't want to be dramatic or anything but Luke's heart stopped beating, it wasn't skipping beats or anything it just fully stopped beating. He didn't want to seem too fazed so he just stayed in place.

'I said, is it so wrong to want to be with you and only you.' He repeated to himself but didn't say out loud.

It shouldn't have hurt like it did.
There was an inkling of a doubt now as he stared up at Clive's face.

'Maybe I'm the only one with these feelings.'

Luke was quite certain that the feelings were mutual, he wasn't imagining things now was he? Clive would always blush with every innocent touch they shared. It couldn't be, Luke had been way bolder since the little forehead kiss but now he wasn't sure if continuing with the subtle flirting would be appropriate.

Clive's heart sank as he looked down at Luke who was in deep thought.

'Is Luke actually considering it?'

Clive should have been happy, he was the one who even suggested it in the first place but he didn't want Luke to actually consider it! He wanted Luke all to himself.

"Will that be a yes?" Clive asked, his heart shattering in his chest.

"Mayb-" Luke took a deep breath.

"Maybe you should stop doing this to me." He said sternly with a bit of a frown and in one swift motion he completely got himself off of Clive's lap and started walking away.

Clive was confused, he watched as Luke's retreating figure rounded a corner and soon disappeared.

'Did we just have a fight?'

That wasn't very Nick and Charlie of them.

Clive sighed.

•••

Luke had spent the past few days watching romance films and he had learnt that when your lover did something you didn't like you'd just have to walk away, leaving them with absolutely no explanation, they'd come to you.
That's what he had done. When he shut his bedroom door behind him he finally realised what he had done.

He was embarrassed. Romance films couldn't apply to this! They were merely friends...with lingering sentiments but that was all.
It was a simple question from Clive's side and Luke didn't have the right to get mad over his concern, to an onlooker this would all seem silly but that's the thing no one knew what was going on inside either of their heads or what either of their hearts wanted.

Well Luke knew now. He couldn't risk losing his friendship with Clive over some momentary infatuation.

Luke was in the living room, his feet up on the couch as he watched telly, (anything to get his mind off today's conversation) when there was a series of knocks on his door.

Sarah was coming over, she needed help with returning this absolutely wank waffle maker she had ordered online. Luke had agreed to help her out but regretted doing so because now he didn't want to leave the couch.

The knocks sounded again and this time they were more aggressive, he cussed under his breath as he dragged and planted himself at the door.

When he opened the door he was surprised to find a downright miserable looking Clive in an oversized puffer jacket and a plastic bag in hand.

"Luke, look I'm sor-" but before Clive could finish his sentence he was swooped up into Luke's large arms.

Luke knew he had been childish and didn't want Clive to think he was some sort of burden so he just stood there with Clive securely tucked under his arms.

"That is not your jacket." Luke laughed once he let go of Clive.

"It's not, it's Christopher's"

Luke just nodded, "and that?" He asked, pointing toward the plastic bag.

"That my friend, is the apology." he said with a small chuckle.

They made their way to the couch and Luke sat himself down, patting the space beside him for Clive to take.
Clive threw the bag into Luke's lap and sat himself down.

"The apology is seven kitkats?" Luke asked as he rummaged through the bag.

Clive just shrugged and sent him an adorable smile.

Luke chuckled and threw him one.

The boys sat there watching telly like nothing had happened but Clive couldn't live without explaining himself, he turned to face Luke.

"I didn't mean to pressure you into putting yourself out there, it's just that- I just thought that maybe you'd want to you know...get involved like that but didn't know how to do it yourself and being your friend I thought maybe I could I don't know help maybe? I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable and I promise never to suggest something as bizarre next time." He let out, all in one breath.

'What's so bizarre about me finding love. Ouch.'

Well Luke could definitely use some help but he isn't going to ask Clive for help when Clive was literally the person involved. Luke sighed, were things supposed to be this hard?

"Don't worry mate, it's all good."

"Mate" Clive mocked.

Luke threw his head back in laughter at how cringe he had sounded.

Maybe Clive could manage being just mates, he'd settle for anything so long as he got to see Luke laugh.