Chapter 2

Luke was an anxious mess. He hadn't paid attention to anything that was taught in class, and couldn't help the restlessness and twitching that came with having zero experience in the socialising department.

'It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. He thinks we're friends. I've bagged a friend.' He tried to see the bright side, but the bright side wasn't bright enough.

He didn't want to lose Clive as soon as he had him. He didn't know how to behave around Clive. He couldn't and wouldn't have Clive think of him the way others thought of him. Luke wasn't a meth snorting, kitten kicking obnoxious arsehole like everyone made him out to be.

It'd take everything in his power not to appear that way though...he only looked like bad news but he had a kind heart. That much he knew and held onto for the rest of the day until it was finally time to meet Clive.

If Clive had spoken to him everyday despite hearing what others had to say, he'd surely speak to him after experiencing Luke first hand wouldn't he?

•••

While Luke couldn't help the restlessness, Clive couldn't help the smile from completely taking over his face.

Luke was unapproachable as far as Clive's knowledge goes, he'd heard how much of a supposed prick Luke was...kicking kittens and whatnot but that wouldn't make Clive deprive the guy of small talk and a smile every now and then. His parents taught him better.

Clive wanted to be Luke's friend. And now that Luke showed the slightest interest in talking to him, he wasn't going to let it slide. He was going to cease the shit out of this God sent opportunity.

Luke may not like having friends but oh boy was Clive gonna show him what he was missing.

•••

School ended about an hour ago and Luke was trying his best to seem calm and collected. It wouldn't bode well for his bad boy reputation if he seemed all jittery to have to meet someone who was potentially his friend.

Luke made his way out to the track field where he was sure to find Clive. And he was right. Clive was sitting under the shade of a big tree  along with one of his friends whose name Luke hadn't cared enough to learn.

Just as Luke continued to stare at the boy like the creep he was, or rather 'was turning into' every time he saw the boy, Clive pulled himself up and reached toward his water bottle, suddenly  locking eyes with Luke.

Clive moved one hand to shield his eyes from the blinding sun and the other to wave frantically over to Luke while simultaneously spilling the contents of his water bottle on the boy beside him who let out an inaudible string of cusses.

'Bastarding jitters.' Luke cussed inwardly at how his heart quickened its pace once he had set his eyes on the radiant boy.

And even though the sun shone on Clive's face causing him to scrunch up his nose, the smile his pretty face adorned did the sun no justice.
It warmed Luke's insides more than the sun ever could.

So this is what it's like to have a friend?

Clive had made his way to the other end of the field where Luke was. He was hunched over, hands on knees and panting for dear life.

'Would expect so much more from an athlete.' Luke thought to himself.

Luke took this time to completely take in the other boy's appearance. Clive had his gym shorts on and a headband that kept his luscious curls from falling onto his face. He had soft hair. Luke could tell. Luke wanted a feel.

They stood in silence, well except for Clive's obnoxious panting which was dying down slowly. Thank heavens.

Clive stood up straight, taking a final deep breath to show Luke that he was done with the show.
He looked over at Luke only to find him staring intently at him, kind of caught off guard Clive turned away, avoiding eye contact, feeling a tad bit self conscious about his sweaty figure.

"I'll be a minute." Clive said, as he pointed toward the showers.

Luke nodded and stayed planted to where he was...in the middle of everyone's path. Nonchalantly oblivious to the irritable passersby.

Clive chuckled before taking a hold of Luke's forearm and dragging him towards the shower.

Once in, Luke somehow made himself comfortable (not really) on a bench alongside...sporty stuff, like dirty towels, empty water bottles and the lot.

After waiting for what seemed like decades, Clive finally showed up with his hair still wet from the shower but otherwise ready to go.

The two made it out the school gates and were headed in no particular direction.

"Where are we off to?" Luke asked, keeping his eyes straight ahead. Making sure he pronounced every syllable correctly.

Clive put on a cheeky smile and draped his arm around Luke's shoulder even though the latter stood two to three inches taller.

"Ice cream and the greasiest chips you've ever had."

Luke looked over at the boy thoroughly impressed.