Chapter 16

"Can I kiss you?" She had asked.

And maybe it was how Clive had smiled at her that threatened the stinging tears from Luke's eyes to spill.

How did they get here?

It had all started on a Monday afternoon.

•••

"A blood drive?" Clive asked Stephen who was sitting at the table along with 8 other students.

"Yes and we as a school will be hosting it this coming Saturday, we need your utmost assistance and support." Clive didn't know why Stephen even bothered speaking like that when he was just as rowdy as the next boy when they were all dismissed from the council room.

Their school hardly ever did things like this, they just wanted to show that they did care about contributing to the society even though they couldn't be in the least bit arsed.

"We'll split our workload amongst five groups of two individuals," Stephen said.

Clive looked forward to this, sure it was hectic but that's what he enjoyed most about it. It would be a change from his mundane routine.

"We'll discuss this at length tomorrow, don't forget to be here. We haven't exactly got much time on our hands even though it may seem like we do." Stephen dismissed them once he was done.

"This is going to be exciting." Clive told the girl who walked ahead of him.

"Totally!" She replied, sending him a smile.

Carol was one of the girls in the student council, she was sort of obsessed with Clive and of course he was completely oblivious to it.

And to make matters worse Clive was nice to her, super nice like he was to everyone but of course Carol didn't see that. She was fully convinced that Clive liked her, who else would ask you if you've had your lunch every single day.

"It'd be nice if we were paired together, I don't really like the others," she said with a slight shudder.

Clive laughed warmly, "I'd like that."

Cue the butterflies.

But this time for Carol.

She sent him a bashful smile and literally pranced away.

'Sweet girl.'

Carol was one of the sweetest people Clive had met, she was down to earth, kind and not to mention really cute.

The corridors were empty as Clive made his way towards the doors and as expected he found Luke and Emily sitting at one of the picnic tables eating...yoghourt?

Yes, clingy Emily. As bizarre as it seems Luke had actually made a friend, and it so happened to be Emily.

It happened a few days ago, Emily was dumped by her boyfriend after school and Luke had been sitting at his usual picnic table with a capri sun in hand, waiting for Clive to be done with practice when Emily had arrived.

"Is Clive around?" She had asked with a forced smile plastered over her face.

"Yeah." Luke had sipped his drink.
"He'll be here in a mo."

"Thanks! Mind if I take a seat?"

"Sure." He did mind though but that was okay.

They sat there in silence save for Luke's occasional sips and slurps.

"The bastard!" She had sworn out of the blue before bursting into tears.

Clive was honestly so proud of Luke for being able to handle such a situation, he was quite impressed and of course extremely happy about Luke's new found friendship with Emily even though it solely revolved around glaring at Emily's ex boyfriend in the corridors.

"Hello Clive!" Emily chirped as Clive neared the table.

"Hey." he smiled at her and turned to send Luke a smile too.

Clive was relieved that Luke didn't have to wait alone anymore, Emily tried her best to give him company when he was waiting for Clive. The two of them put the picnic table in use by actually having a picnic everyday. It was sweet.

"Alright! I've got to head home, it's getting late," she then looked at Luke, "I'll bring scones tomorrow." She said as she waved him goodbye.

Clive grinned as Emily's retreating figure disappeared, he looked over at Luke and grinned wider. Luke rolled his eyes but smiled anyway.

"Will I never hear the end of this?" Luke asked.

"I'm just surprised is all!" Clive threw his head back in laughter.

Luke stared at Clive with a small smile tugging at his lips as he watched the other boy laugh.

"Hey! She brings food and is good company." he tried defending himself as he made his way to Clive's side.

The two of them walked out side by side, "we're having a blood drive." Clive said.

"A blood drive?" Luke looked at him with furrowed brows "since when did we care?"

Clive sent him a pointed look.

"Can we stop by to get food?" Clive asked as the silence seemed to settle in for the second time.

"Of course! Sorry we got really hungry." Luke apologised for having a full blown banquet without Clive.

"Oh come on Luke," Clive chuckled. "If anything I'm happy that you're doing your own thing." he said, sending Luke a warm smile.

"Yeah?" Luke asked genuinely.

"Yes." Clive assured him and slid his hand into Luke's, gingerly lacing his fingers around that of Luke's.

Luke's heart fluttered at the touch, a small blush had creeped onto his cheeks when he looked down at their intertwined fingers and when he looked toward Clive he caught sight of the boys forming blush and sweet sweet smile.

He'd have to do something about this crush. The holding hands, chaste kisses, warm smiles and subtle touches as sweet as they were weren't enough.

God knows Luke needed more.