Chapter 5

"So snacks in general, doesn't necessarily have to be popcorn?" Luke asked Sarah, making a note of everything the older girl was telling him.

"Hm hm" Sarah hummed, taking a spoon full of some sort of gravy she had been cooking all evening.

Luke had made it back home earlier than he usually did that day, he got a hold of his neighbour Sarah for some advice on having Clive over.

Sarah was a 20 something mum. She lived with her husband and a little child who was only a year old.
She could also be considered as Luke's only friend.

Luke was an only child and despite having loving parents he had always wished for someone more around his age to hang out with, and Sarah was the closest to his age.

"So, are you looking for a shag after?" Sarah asked, still unfazed as ever stirring away at the pot.

Luke's eyes widened. "No!" He said rather defensively.

"Alright then, who's this person who has got you all soft." She chuckled.
"A movie date" she snickered.

"What? No. I'm just having one of my mates over and it's not a date" He said.

Sarah turned around, tasting spoon still in hand. "And since when did you have 'mates'?" She asked quite surprised at Luke's bold revelation.

"It doesn't matter, it's not a big deal anyways" Luke waved it off.

"Alright, alright" she replied.

"What's her name-"

"Clive, from school"

'Oh up the bum then' Sarah whistled to herself, impressed.

Luke was asked to stay for dinner but had to kindly decline as he had to make sure he was all prepared to have Clive over the day after.

•••

Luke impatiently tapped his fingers on the desk, looking from the teacher to the clock every now and then. He was in his last class for the day and soon enough would be leaving with Clive to their movie date.

'It's perfectly innocent. Friends have movie dates all the time.' He reassured himself against what Sarah thought his plans seemed like.
He also made a mental note to by all means stop using the word 'date'.

As soon as the class ended Luke was out the door and dashing through the narrow corridors.

On Fridays Clive didn't have track practice or council meetings. 'Wow he really is a catch' Luke thought, thinking about how outgoing Clive was. It'd been a miracle that someone like Clive would want to have anything to do with the likes of Luke. 'Now is not self depreciation time'.

He knew Clive would be a while, he'd have to say farewell to the entire school before he'd walk out the school gates, despite being fully aware of this Luke was at the gates in no time and was leaning against the bricked wall to seem cool, he'd have to seem cool for the rest of the day and he was tired at the thought of it.

"Come on," he heard Clive say as he made his way over to Luke, hands tucked into the pockets of his trousers.

The two of them began their walk to Luke's house making small talk, which was more of a monologue.

Unlike Luke, Clive hadn't given much thought to going over to Luke's. He didn't want to worry. 'There's nothing to worry about, we're friends.' He reassured himself.

But having Luke walk beside him Clive couldn't help but overthink the situation. 'This might be Netflix and chill,'
Luke gave off an energy, that of a mad shagger. He did have girls swooning over him but only because he was all mysterious, he wasn't exactly a heartthrob or anything so it was strictly swooning and nothing more from the girls side. 'He is fit though.'

Clive tried clearing his head of such thoughts. They were just two friends hanging out. There would be no meaningless sex involved and Clive shouldn't be worrying.

He was pulled back to reality when he heard Luke unlock his front door.

Luke led Clive into the living room and quite literally forced him down onto the couch.

"I'll be right back." Luke said and left the room with two big strides.

'Probably getting condoms' Clive thought to himself.

Luke soon emerged in the doorway of the living room with a shit ton of crisps. Clive ran over to give him a hand. Once the bags were fully placed on the table the boys looked at the table in awe.

"Didn't know which flavour you liked so I got them all" Luke said looking down at the table with his hands on his hips.

Clive's heart shouldn't have fluttered the way it did. There was something so sweet and pure about Luke raiding the entire snack aisle because he hadn't a clue what Clive liked. He'd suggest they exchange numbers so he could shoot him a message in times of crisis like Luke had just been in but Clive's conscience reminded him that he couldn't be fully sure about Luke's intentions.

"Right, give me a second to change, er...you can use the bathroom it's in the end of the hallway to your left" Luke said to a confused Clive, he didn't repeat himself though.

All sorts of crude images flooded Clive's mind. 'Surely he doesn't expect me to know what has to be done...down there now does he?'.
Clive remained put, unsure of how he'd face a horny Luke.

Luke made his way back into the living room, in a jumper and some sweats. He sent Clive a puzzled look, "you're not gonna have a movie night in your school clothes are you?"

'Huh?'

"That'd just be uncomfortable." Luke frowned.

"I haven't brought a change of clothes?" Clive replied, still unsure of what was going on.

"Just a minute." Luke was out the door before Clive could fully comprehend what had happened.

'He meant clothes. Why do you think up such garbage?' Clive shook his head in disappointment at himself.

Soon enough Luke had brought Clive a set of warm comfortable clothes for the latter to change into.

Clive quickly got into the clothes and the two of them found themselves seated on the massive couch scrolling through lists of films.

Clive tried his best not to melt into Luke's clothes, but the stuff smelled of Luke and for some reason the mere thought or in this case the mere scent of Luke made Clive's insides all warm.

'Quit fangirling'

There was just something so charming about Luke, Clive felt like the female protagonist of a cliche chick flick wearing clothes that belonged to someone like Luke.

He looked over at Luke who was frantically looking for the remote that he definitely was sitting on.

Maybe Clive would swoon, it's very likely when you meet someone like Luke. 'If only you weren't the prick people say you are'  he thought to himself sadly.