Chapter 13

Clive wanted to blame it on the alcohol in his system but to be honest it was sort of wearing down and Clive just wanted something to dream about when he went to sleep later that night. 'Pathetic.' He thought, but a win was a win.
It was a simple kiss to the chin, nothing more but the way his insides rejoiced at every single millisecond that his fingers had grazed Luke's beautiful face was overwhelming. He was so whipped.

Luke had just about had it with keeping to himself, he stood abruptly and dragged Clive back to his bedroom. 'Shits about to go down.'

Shit didn't go down though, even in his drunken state Luke knew better than to jeopardise his friendship with Clive. As much as he'd love to come clean about his embarrassing crush he just couldn't.

He would confess to Clive who (wouldn't be disgusted with him or whatever. No, Clive was a sweetheart. However...) he would try to make Luke understand that they couldn't work out and if Luke couldn't get rid of his feelings for Clive then Clive would get rid of him.

Luke's heart sank at the thought. He couldn't let that happen, he wouldn't. He knew Clive had a good heart and if staying away from Luke was the only way he could stop Luke from dying with a one sided obsession then he would do it, all for Luke's own good.

'On the off chance though...' Luke had stopped himself before he could think any further and lose his peace of mind.

He looked over at where Clive was sitting, right beside him. Clive sent him a shy smile, his cheeks a wild red as he relived the happenings in the bathroom. Clive was so pretty, so handsome, so cute all at once and it had made Luke think of the off chance.

'On the off chance he'll like me back and the things we'd do-'

He was rudely disturbed by Clive's hand that was now placed gently over his own, "Are you okay?" Clive asked just as gently.

Luke just stared into his eyes, "No, let's drink."

Clive wasn't too sure about this, he stood behind Luke who was apparently looking for something stronger. Luke pulled out a bottle of tequila that was hidden out of his sight.

"Just one shot" Clive reluctantly said.

•••

It was enough.

Just one shot had them seeing stars and screaming rather than singing to 'Bubblegum bitch'.

It was now nearing 10 PM and the boys could expect Luke's parents soon.
Luke's plan had initially been to fall asleep before his parents got home so he wouldn't have to hear a mouthful, like he hadn't got enough of that from Sarah, but now that he was having Clive stay over he didn't know what to do.

He couldn't have drunk Clive meeting his parents for the first time, what sort of an impression would that be? Although knowing Clive he'd somehow sweep Luke's parents off their feet just by sending them a toothy smile.

"We'll have to be asleep before my parents get home." Luke told Clive who was still singing Bubblegum bitch even though the next song had started to play.

"Oh? Now?"

"It'd be best not to risk."

They tried tidying up their mess, disposing of the wine bottle and securely placing the tequila back in its exact position. They pulled down all the baubles and Christmas lights and put them back in the box.

They finally made their way back to Luke's room for the 10th time that day and sprawled onto the comfy bed.

"Today was...bloody brilliant." Luke spat, literally.

"I had a great time! Thanks for having me over." Clive said politely as always.

"Thank YOU for coming." Luke pointed at Clive, "You...you're so good to me." he said with a hint of sadness and clearly drunk off his tits.

"Why do you even take the pains of being here, with me." Luke said, his voice laced with resentment towards himself.

"What? I actually want to be here Luke." Clive deadpanned at the overdramatic display Luke was putting on.

"You're my friend, the least I can do is be here on your birthday. The very least."

It was true but Luke just wanted an excuse to be dramatically grateful, he wanted Clive to know just how much this meant to him. Maybe he should cry, crying always gets people's attention.

"Do you think I should cry?" He genuinely asked Clive.

'This guy is a weird drunk.' Clive thought.

Clive had met sad drunks, happy drunks, crazy drunks, touchy drunks, seductive drunks and arsehole drunks but never had he met a loose amalgam of all the drunks in one person until today.

"And why would you want to do that?" Clive asked, trying to decipher what the reason behind Luke's decision was.

"Because I love you and I don't know how to put it in words or deeds for that matter." Luke felt helpless and self conflicted, he was too tired to lie through his teeth and so had decided to marginally open up to Clive.

Clive only awkwardly smiled and pulled Luke into a hug.

'If only you meant that in more than one way.' He thought to himself as he held onto Luke who had put his full weight into the hug.

"Okay, move. You're heavy." Clive chuckled as he slightly tried to push Luke off of him.

Luke only hugged him tighter, securing a place for his face in the crook of Clive's neck.

"Luke!" He said, smiling wide as ever. He wished this was real, he was fully aware of how things would get back to normal after today and wished that he could freeze this moment in time and stay like this forever. Maybe he should have been the one asking if he should cry, it was more fitting what with his heart breaking with Luke's every nuzzle further and further into his neck.

'Fuck it. If it won't last then might as well make it worthwhile.'