"It is highly likely," Niko murmured. "And yes, they will be upset. I'm certain they will find me and voice their displeasure at seeing me again. Perhaps this time, I will be more prepared for their plans."

Sitting on the bottom step of the stairs, I leaned against the post and looked at the crack in the wall that contained a vampire. That was something that I never thought was possible. The fact that I didn't think vampires were real was enough. Someone, some living creature was behind an almost inescapable wall.

Niko wanted to escape. He wanted me to help him get out. That meant that I was unleashing a monster upon this town. Sure, Niko said he wasn't the only one but did I really want to add another one? Could I trust him when he said that he would not hurt Brad or me?

I had nothing. Not a single answer. All that I knew was that I would help him get out of that entrapment.

It wasn't his only issue. This modern world was not made for vampires.

"You're going to just hate this era."

"How so?"

"Oh, lots of things. Cops are super smart. They have a lot of ways of catching murderers, which you are one because vampires are completely fictional to the entire world. I'm also assuming that because you've been in there for over sixty years, you don't have valid identification. That's going to be a bit of an issue for you."

"This is why we have familiars."

"I thought they were cats for witches."

Niko chuckled, and crazily, I was smiling too.

"Familiars can take on a few shapes, and humans are one of them. They are trusted to tend to tasks for their master, ensure that the vampire remains hidden, and assist them wherever necessary throughout the course of their service. For their efforts, they are protected from their master and other vampires and assured life when others are not granted such liberties. I have not had a familiar in such a long time."

"So, I'd be like your familiar?"

"If that is what you desire."

"What about Brad?"

"We only have one familiar. However, I can extend the vampire master and familiar protection to him as well. That is, once I'm out of here and obtain the necessary items to offer such things."

"Okay, I'm going to get something to start digging you out. While I'm doing that, we can discuss what you did and how we're going to trust each other."

"I look forward to it."

Getting up from the stairs, I quickly ascended them and then peeked around the corner. Brad was setting up his office in the guest quarters. Slipping through the house, I found a knife and a spoon, the only options I had at the moment. This was going to take forever.