95

The wine glass clinked on the coffee table. The last dregs of the clear liquor pooled at the bottom. Really, I would've preferred red, but Kaldur had fallen asleep next to me. I didn't want him to wake up and see red. Especially not in a glass. While there were some things he didn't tell me, there were enough clues that allowed me to put things together.

What Percy said had to be true, because none of the villains who would target them would be twisted enough to drink their blood like it's a delicacy.

Sunlight washed in through the windows, painting the floor and Kaldur with its radiance. His face twisted and he turned. Eyes once again hidden from the sun, he settled. I watched him, trying to gauge if it was safe to move. He shifted and pressed his hand against my leg. It was only a small pressure, but his fingers grasped loosely at one of the material folds. The answer was no.

Behind me, the floor creaked. Kaldur jolted. I shushed and soothed him with a hand on his back as the footsteps made their way around the couch. Roy swept up the glass and drained the last drops. He frowned.

"You need to stop drinking so much," he said.

"I'm supposed to be telling that to you." I patted the space beside me, but Roy picked up Kaldur's legs and slipped under them. They could be brothers in a different world. Or in this one if it came down to it. I had no reservations about kidnapping Kaldur if it meant keeping him safe. It wouldn't even be kidnapping. I'm one of the den mothers for the Cave, so it's my responsibility to keep him safe.  Even if it's from Orin.  "Toss me my blanket." Once he did, I tucked it around Kaldur.

These gestures were the easiest for Kaldur to accept. He might shy away from touch or verbal praise, usually with some deflection and statement about how he doesn't deserve it, but things that belong to me, that smell like me or Oliver or Roy never seem to rise a complaint from him.

He hummed and moved closer to me. And when he opened his eyes, they were alert for once, instead of the unfocused haze that had overtaken them lately. I stroked my fingers over his forehead. Maybe I need to look into getting him glasses? Did any of us think to check their eyes for any damage?

"Cute," I mumbled as he pressed into my touch like a cat.

"Okay, now this is really unfair." Roy tipped his head back. "Kaldur, you better be enjoying this because she hasn't called me cute since I was a kid." I could see him smiling despite his attempts to hide it. The smile disappeared when Kaldur struggled to sit up, and he quickly helped him. "You okay?"

"Thank you," Kaldur rasped.

"Can you go get him some water?" I eased Kaldur's head onto my shoulder. Roy nodded and went to the kitchen. "Are you feeling any better, little bird?" My voice was low, soft, and as non-confrontational as I could make it. The razor was heavy in my pocket and I wished I had thrown it away.

"Why do you call me that?"

"I just want you to feel safe. And if co-opting a nickname I usually use for Robin for you does that, I'll do it. I- I want you to be safe too, but--" I sighed. It wouldn't matter if he didn't feel like he was being protected.

He slipped his arms around me. It wasn't for him, I knew that he was doing this for me. A reassurance that he trusted me, but I didn't need that from him. I didn't want that from him. He's the child. He's the one I'm supposed to take care of. There should have been a bit of joy in the way that he didn't hesitate before offering affection, because it would help him too. But there wasn't because Kaldur constantly gives and gives and gives.

Loyal to a fault, a voice not my own whispered in my head.

"Here." Roy held a blue cup out to Kaldur. When he didn't take it, Roy placed it on the coffee table.