chapter 23

"Time-" the doctor looks at the clock. "No! What the hell are you doing?! Help him!" I yell. "He has a DNR" the doctor says. "Carol" I look at her. "Honey-" she says, wiping her tears.

"No! No! Please.. please just do something" I cry. "Do it!" Christopher yells at the doctor. "But-" the doctor says. "Now!" Carolyn says.

They grab the defibrillators and put them on his chest. "Clear!" They shock him. I stand there crying as I watch them do it again and again.

I look up as the machines stop bleeping. The doctor sighs, putting the defibrillators down. "Is he-" I wipe my tears. "He's alive" the doctor says.

I put my hand on my stomach, running out of the room. I get to the bathroom and puke into the toilet. I wipe my mouth.

"No, no" I cry quietly as my phone starts ringing. I look and see that it's Carolyn. I run back out and into the hospital room.

"What? What happened?" I ask as I see him just laid there still. My eyes widen as I hear him groan, his hand moving up to his chest. I walk over.

His eyes open slowly, staying at a squint. His eyes lock with mine. His eyes close again. "Derek?" I whisper, stroking his cheek with my thumb.

The doctor walks in. His eyes open again and he starts coughing. The doctors walk over. They pull the tube out of his throat slowly.

He whines, his eyes closing again. The doctors run a few tests as I just stand there in shock.

They help him sit up slightly. His eyes open again and he looks around the room. "Mr shepherd, can you tell me who this is?" The doctor points at Carol. "Mom?" He mumbles. She smiles, tears in her eyes.

"And?" The doctor asks. "And my dad" he says groggily. The doctor gives him a sip of water. He clears his throat. "What about her?" The doctor points at me.

He looks at me. He furrows his brows. "W-who are you?" He asks. My heart sinks and my bottom lip trembles.

He smiles small. "Just kidding" he says. My chuckle turns into a small sob as I hug him carefully.

"Tiffany, right?" He says. "Derek" I sob into his shoulder. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" He whispers. I pull away slowly.

"You're meredith grey" He smiles at me. "You're not funny" I say. "What happened?" He furrows his brows.

He looks around the room. "You don't remember?" Christopher asks. He shakes his head. I sit on the edge of the bed next to him.

"Der, you tried to kill yourself.. you've been on life support for three months" I whisper tearfully. "I did?" He asks. I nod.

"Oh, y-you're mad at me.. we broke up" he realises. "I'm not mad at you.. Well, I am.. but for other reasons now" I say. He smiles.

"I'm so glad you're okay" I whisper, closing my eyes. I rest my forehead against the side of his head. He puts his hand on my cheek. I pull away slowly.

We're all in his room for three hours as the doctors do more tests on him and we catch up. We haven't discussed the status of our relationship now and I'm so scared.

"Will you, mer?" He asks. "I don't want to leave" I sigh. "I need clothes.. please?" He says. "I'll be back in ten minutes, okay?" I stand up. He nods.

I walk away. "Hey!" He says. I turn around. "Did you read the letter?" He asks. "..yeah" I say.

"Will you?" He asks. "Will I-" I stop, realising what he's asking. I look at Carolyn wnd Christopher. They look at me shocked, knowingly.

"You need to have your head checked again" I giggle. "Meredith" he says.

"I obviously have some problems I need to sort out.. but I want you there through all of it" he says. "Der" I say.

"Promise me you'll never hurt yourself again" I say. "I promise" he says. "Derek, I need you to mean it" tears run down my cheeks. "I mean it meredith.. this put everything into perspectives for me.. I know exactly what I want now" he says.

"Will you marry me?" He asks. "Yes!" I run over to him. He puts his hands on my waist as I stop infront of him, not wanting to hurt him. I lean in and kiss him. I put my hands on his cheeks.

We pull away slowly. I look as I hear his heart monitor beating faster and faster. "Are you okay?" I ask. "Yes, it's just.. you" he chuckles. I giggle.

"Where did you put the ring?" He asks. I take off my necklace that I attached it to. He smiles. I pass it to him.

He holds my hand. A tear runs down my face as he slides it onto my finger.

"If you hurt yourself ever again I'll never forgive you" I look into his eyes seriously. "I won't let you down meredith" he whispers. I kiss him again softly.

"If you hurt her again, we'll never forgive you either" Carol says. I giggle. "Okay" he says.

I hug him. "I'm gonna get you some clothes" I whisper into his shoulder. "Okay, be back quick" he says. "I will" I pull away.

I lean down and kiss him a few times softly. "Go, I'll be right here" he smiles. I look back at him once more before leaving.