She was not a good mother, but that didn't mean I loved her any less or didn't miss her. I still cried, wishing she was here even if my life had improved infinitely. She was taken from me. I used to fall asleep every night expecting to wake up to the sound of the cops knocking on the door. I never believed it would happen. But it did.

Moving the parcel aside, Brad slid up onto the stool and ate his breakfast. Between us was the meal plan for the next week, including lunches for me, just in case they didn't have a cafeteria like the other schools.

"Well?"

"It works."

We finished our stack of pancakes in silence, looking at the week of meals. Brad liked to try and cook, even if he was mediocre at it. He'd had many successes and a few failures.

I didn't mind. I'd happily take the good and the bad any day.

After breakfast, I stacked the dishes while Brad prepared the shopping list.

"You might want to wash that before you wear it. And because I cooked breakfast, you get to clean up. Have fun."

With a merciless chuckle, the jerk left me to wash up. Before I did that, I took the uniform and made sure it fitted. Unfortunately, it was a perfect fit which did not help the situation. After redressing, I took the clothes to the basement and put them into the wash. They went in together. My aim was that the blue would leak dye and stain the white shirt and socks. Therefore, I will not be able to wear them tomorrow.

Smiling, I turned and left the washing machine to do my dark bidding.

The dishes were done, and I got half an hour of game time before the washing machine started to beep at me. With a skip in my step, I made my way down to the basement. Disappointment soon found me. The damned skirt must have been colorfast.

"How rude," I muttered.

Dumping them in the dryer, I said a silent prayer that the lint filter would catch on fire. Then I retracted that because the whole place would probably burn down.

Returning to the game, I lost track of time until Brad returned home. Pausing it, I ambled out to the car and helped him bring in the groceries.

"Sounds like your clothes are done."

"Yeah,"

"The clothes didn't discolor?"

"No." I grumped.

Brad chuckled, making my frustration worse.

It was warm in the basement because I'd forgotten to open the vent. Pulling the clothes out of the dryer, I thought I heard something thump. Warily I stood, lifting the basket up with me.

"Brad?"

His heavy boots thumped overhead, making his way to the door.

"What's up?"

"I think I heard something."

He walked down the stairs and looked at me and around the area. It wasn't a large area, enough to fit the appliances and a table if I wanted to fold the clothes down here. I wouldn't. It was too stuffy for my liking.

"There's probably a rat in the wall. I wonder if I can get a pest exterminator out on a Sunday."

Brad turned to the stairs, muttering about Sunday rates. I wouldn't worry about that. I'd be more concerned that the sleepy town of Hades wouldn't trade on a Sunday at all. It was surprising that he was able to get groceries.

His heavy boots thumped up the stairs as I drew closer. My heart was racing as I looked at the crack that had grown overnight.

"Please don't call the exterminator." the wall whispered.