#17

A wild mess ensued. All spoke at the same time and had stood up. Everyone but Donnie bombarded Splinter with questions. It was like he dropped a bomb and a whole new situation arose.

He obviously knew more than they did, and after ignoring their ‘why's’ with an almost defiant look, curiosity, and anger mingled with the voices and questions.

“How do you imagine that, Splints? Should we just put her on the street or what?"

"She saved Donnie's life, and you want to kick her out?!" Mikey was very upset.

"Dad, spit it out, who the heck that woman is!" exclaimed Leo.

"And what this symbol means!" added Raph, waving the drawing.

Splinter, in turn, had his arms crossed, his chin raised, and was staring past them with a stubborn look.

For his part, Donnie had only looked up in surprise at Splinter's words and was now following the hubbub of voices around his father. He wasn't worried about her ending up alone and abandoned on the street. Whatever happens, he would go with her – he knew that as he sat here.

He remembered his words as the water rose. The fear in her eyes, the lost tear on her cheek.

“I will save you. I promise."

Nothing will stop him. Nothing in this universe existed that would stop him from protecting her, and he felt his anger that his father could be so heartless. He felt the flame flicker within him and got up.

"Dad," he said calmly but with suppressed wrath. All eyes turned to him. “Under no circumstances in this world will I leave her on her own. You do know something and don't want to tell us? Fine, your decision. But don't make the mistake of making me choose between you and her."

Splinter looked startled at Donatello. He felt misunderstood and exposed. How could his son say such a thing to him? Was this unknown woman more important to him than he, his own father? She was dangerous! Dangerous for anyone who got too close to her! His son almost died because of it today! He wanted to protect him and that was the thanks?! He launched into an angry, defiant reply as Donnie's gauntlet beeped.