#8

It really looked beautiful. These geometric, precise lines that move constantly, like clouds in the sky - only after you have looked away for a while do you notice the change when you look again.

The purple glow bathed her in an almost supernatural light. She wondered if the glowing dome above continued below them, and they were in a ball of purple geometric, mathematical, magical exactness.

To find out, she would have to push the rubble aside and look under it - and that was a bit too tricky for her. This form protected her from certain death, and possible destabilization was the last thing she wanted to risk.

How on earth is that possible? She asked herself once more. How did she do that? The Bo was still in her hands. Still glowing. White, elegant lines ran across it from time to time, and both had in common the hypnotic effect of a lava lamp.

A pain ran through her left leg. She sustained a fairly deep wound while sprinting through the collapsing building, but she'd improvised a pressure bandage with her mask, and the blood was slow to seep through the shattered concrete blocks beneath her. 

She was a little worried about the wound. But it wasn't the first of its kind, and she had learned that no worries in the world could make her wounds better cared for or heal faster. She had done what she could - now she ignored it as best the pain would allow.

She looked at the turtle lying next to her. He was still unconscious, but his breathing was steady and calm. You should wake him up, right? Maybe. But she shied away from it. She dreaded what might come next. The questions, the looks. What if he sees through me? My hesitation? He sees me as his enemy. A thief who must be caught and thrown in prison. He will wonder why I hold his Bo in my hands and saved him! And that glow?! Oh, help...!

Conflicting emotions wrestled within her. She didn't want to be his enemy - but he was right. She was a thief, had stolen something.

Carefully, she released one hand from the Bo and felt to her hip to find the hidden pocket in which she could feel her stolen goods from the outside. Reassurance and guilt rose in her, and she pressed her lips together.

It was like a trap she had fallen into. She needed these artifacts to be able to live. To be free. This hunt had been going on for so long, and she was exhausted and burned out. It was as if she had no choice. Either she was a thief and made enemies - or she would... again, she was unable to think further. Panic lurked just beneath the surface of these thoughts, and she needed to stay calm at all costs.

She sighed, shook her head slightly and glanced over to the turtle again. Something stirred inside her when she looked at him. A glow, a warmth. Accompanied by uncertainty and vigilance. She had never been shy - but this.

This confused her to infinity.

She recognized him. Years ago, she had seen the records circulating on the web - four humanoid turtles fighting the lunar-like spacecraft that had attacked New York. So it was true. And surprisingly, she wasn't surprised. This city was a mystery, and she had hoped she would never have to come here.

She looked over at him again. Their safety sphere was about 2 meters in diameter, enough room for the two of them, but some debris took up about a third of the space, so standing was not quite possible. Still - she could see him up close. He was impressive to look at. A fascinating creature. How did it come about? Technology seems to be his passion. The gadgets on the head and on the wrist looked unique. And then there was this Bo… she gripped it a little tighter, not noticing the almost invisible white lines wrapping gracefully around the staff a little faster.

On a sudden impulse, she leaned forward and stretched out her right hand to him. His skin should be cold - and rough. The fingers hovered just in front of his left cheek. But a resistance made itself felt in her - it is unforgivable to touch him without his consent.

And so she withdrew her hand, embarrassed at this lack of impulse control. Agreement is a precious good and must be respected. For every creature.

She sighed again.

It was easier when he slept. So she could think and organize her thoughts as best she could.