Karamatsu and Reader

Requested by Kitcc14

I stared at him, wide-eyed like an animal trapped in headlights.

He stared back, his dark hues swirling with either embarrassment or shock while our faces lit up red like a Christmas ornament. My heart was beating wildly within the boney jail of my ribcage as my mind searched for any feasible way to get out of this suddenly awkward tension.

Who calls a guy 'pretty'!?

"Uh...thanks," His voice was suddenly tense, clearing his throat before turning away from me completely, "I...uh..."

My eyes lowered in confusion, clenching my fists while an all-consuming thought wormed its way into my head.

I fucked this up. Leave and save his pride, never see him again.

"Hey, something came up," My voice collided with his, both of us standing at the same time, "I'll let you know when--"

My date and I stared at each other again, the red on our faces growing deeper.

"Uh--" His left hand barely covered my mouth as my words became smothered, "Mon amie, you don't seem quite ready for a date just yet."

My heart skipped a beat while my embarrassment slowly gave way to hurt.

"Not that it's a bad thing!" He quickly corrected himself, letting his hand fall back to his side while raising the other to rub the back of his head, "How do I say this without being an idiot?"

A moment passed between us as his face scrunched into concentrated thinking, suddenly slamming his fist down into the open palm of the other hand while a look of realization swept over his expression.

"You're so overwhelmed by your love for me that it's become the porcupine dilemma between us!"

The sudden chill of the autumn wind ripped through my entire body, my threadbare jacket doing nothing against the weather. I'm sure that my face reflected the dumbfoundedness that I felt.

"I'm right, aren't I?" He stepped a little closer, the dark hues focused on my own as a confident smirk rested on his lips. The flush in his face had simmered down quite a bit.

"...sure," I couldn't hide the defeat in my voice, wrapping my arms over my chest and taking a deep breath, "...I'm not ready for this."

"Then we'll schedule this date another time!" The sudden chipperness of his voice drove my own emotions down the drain, "Shall we en-trance each other tomorrow?"

"I've got work tomorrow," The excuse sounded dry to me, "How about I text you when I'm available next?"

"C'est bon, mon amie! I look forward to your message," He waved me farewell as I made my way towards the bus stop at the park corner.

A deep frown tugged at my lips as my thumb padded the phone screen, scrolling through different articles about having a heartache.

'How to Tell You're in Love!: A Ten-Question Quiz for Her'

'Tight Chest and Racing Heart? See a Cardiologist'

'Horoscopes and Love Lives'

'Fear or Fact? Anxiety vs Heart Attack!'

'12 Scientifically Proven Signs That You're in Love'

My eyes narrowed in displeasure, shutting off the screen and letting my head fall back onto the couch cushion, more confused than ever about how I was feeling.